Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

High Beams blew out, low still working!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 AM
HCF Member
Default High Beams blew out, low still working!

I just changed my Alternator which the old one was Charging fine but others suggested that the regulator in the Alternator was bad, causing lights to flicker, idling up and down and sending false code to ECU causing check Engine Light to come on. So i changed the whole Alternator.
The issue I had was when I bought the brightest bulb Pepboys had. I put them in and my High Beam Filament in the bulb blew out within the first 2 weeks. So I replaced them again and they blew out in the first few days.
I finally changed the Alternator last week and checked the voltage to High and Low Beams.
High Beam-12.2+ volts
Low beam - 11.92 volts
Battery- 12.2+
Is that normal that the low beams show lower voltage?
Before i go buy another set of Bright lights at over $60.00 a pop I want to make sure that everything is okay.
Is there anything else I should check that can cause my High Beams from blowing out again.
I have NEW Alternator in the car which solved:
1. Engine idling up and down.
2. Lights throughout my car from flickering, even the Headlights and instrument panels.
Thanks for any help!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Stop buying those bulbs and use regular ones instead. Bulbs that are higher wattage than stock are often a reliability problem. If the headlight housings are bad (yellowed plastic lenses and /or silver coating on the back degraded), you're not going to get much light out no matter what bulbs you use.

Voltage should be measured with the engine running. If it's in the high 14's or over 15 volts theres a problem with overcharging and that will blow out bulbs all over the car.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

I got Pepboys to replace my Headlight bulbs and so far so good, have not blown. I drove a couple of hours with them on. I guess it was my alternator-regulator that was causing all my lighting issues.
Now if i can get that check Engine light off. Autozone said they don't check the codes any longer, against CA state Law. What's up with that?
Hope my issues helps others with the same issues.
Thanks all.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:42 AM

I would call around to other shops to confirm. However, I wouldn't put it past CA to become even stricter on random car **** like that

Old 08-30-2013, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by aztecaa
....Now if i can get that check Engine light off. Autozone said they don't check the codes any longer, against CA state Law.... Thanks all.
Make sure your gas cap is tight...3 or more clicks when putting it on. If it's old, replace it with a Honda OEM (about $35 on Ebay) . A poorly sealing gas cap will cause a Check Engine light .

Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up DO NOT replace with Bosch O2 Sensors !

Originally Posted by PCollen
Make sure your gas cap is tight...3 or more clicks when putting it on. If it's old, replace it with a Honda OEM (about $35 on Ebay) . A poorly sealing gas cap will cause a Check Engine light .
The Bosch O2 Sensor from Pepboys does not work, replaced with a friends old one and the Check Engine Light is finally OFF!