Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

93 civic ex acting like the Cat's clogged

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Unhappy 93 civic ex acting like the Cat's clogged

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me as im baffled at this point. I drive a 93 civic ex, d16z6 and about 2 months ago the Catalytic converter clogged up so I pulled it off and drilled a hole from one end to the other through the stuff inside and it ran like champ afterward, but now yesterday (10/14/13) it started acting like its clogged again but I've pulled it off and it's fine so I'm not sure what to do now. it runs and drives, just rough, and has no go power after about 2400rpm really. it has an exhaust that is throaty sounding already but it sounds louder now while sitting at idle and yet the motor sounds the same at idle with the hood up.
oh also it started doing it while driving home from work on the freeway yesterday, it started up just fine and id made it to the freeway and had been on it for about 5 miles when it bogged down all the sudden in 5th gear, once I left the freeway and every time id have to stop for a light or stop sign id have to roll up to it as slow as possible and use the e brake to stop with the clutch pushed in and my foot giving it a little gas or else the rpm's would drop till it sputtered and died if I only held the clutch down and gave it no gas.
I know that's a lot of cluttered info but I just wanted to be sure I got everything down, and any help or suggestions I get would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you ever tuned up the ignition system?

Have you cleaned the IACV and FITV?

Any CEL codes?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Default Found it, but new problem

Figured out the issue, valve cover gasket leaking oil into one of the spark plugs, leaving me with a dead cylinder. I replaced the gaskets but now I don't think they gave me the right one, I can't for the life of me get the valve cover to set right like it should, there's a gap that wasn't there before. So I'll be getting another one of those. Also I broke one of the two longer back bolts and it broke rather easily, only gave it maybe an 1/8th of a turn and it snapped, my question is this, is there anywhere I can find a new set of the 5 bolts? I've been to oreilys and they said they couldn't find anything for my motor. If anyone knows a place that actually sells them for a d16z6 please let me know. I'd rather it not be a junkyard too bc I just don't have the time to go digging through one looking for them. Thanks again for the suggestions above and to anyone else that might have any.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Buy the bolts at the Honda dealer.

If you can't figure out the valve cover issue, post clear pictures of the problem.