Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil Additives for Carbon Cleaning and whatnot? Synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Default Oil Additives for Carbon Cleaning and whatnot? Synthetic oil?

Hey.
I drive a 97 DX 4door with about 125k miles on it, i bought it at about 119k and we've (me and the pops) already changed the oil once with regular oil.

I was thinking on my next oil change will will be pretty soon that i am going to change over to synthetic oil. Is this a good idea?

Another question i had was, i was meandering through the oil aisle at an advance auto a month or so back and i saw some oil additives for cleaning up the insides of old engines. My engine runs pretty well, it doesnt run like it's a new engine, its pretty doggy, the lady who used to own it was a dumb bitch (for lack of a better word) more on that later most likely.

Does this stuff work? I need some ammunition for my dad because he is a big time car guy and totally swears against it, claming all the **** inside it that gets washed off has to go somewhere and it causes even more problems possibly.

Are there advantages to using oil additives for cleaning up an old engine? Will it run more efficiently and will i get a little more power? Or.. am i just an idiot .

Thanks!!

Old 05-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Default RE: Oil Additives for Carbon Cleaning and whatnot? Synthetic oil?

Try Auto-Rx. It is the only thing I would put in there besides oil. www.auto-rx.com and read about it. Also go to www.bobistheoilguy.com for people who swear by it.

Old 05-20-2006, 09:46 PM

aiee! thank you ill have to try that out.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 AM

Try some seafoam...it WORKS!
I've read too many articles stating that oil additives are not worth it...your regular oil has enough additives already...

Old 05-26-2006, 07:44 AM

Superfestive is right additives are ****. SEAFOAM does work great in both crankcase and fuel tank. Also ATF works wonders ad 2 cap fulls of atf wiht about 900 miles to go before oil change and it will do wonders for cleaning because of all the detergants in it.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: larsenracing

Superfestive is right additives are ****. SEAFOAM does work great in both crankcase and fuel tank. Also ATF works wonders ad 2 cap fulls of atf wiht about 900 miles to go before oil change and it will do wonders for cleaning because of all the detergants in it.
I've heard about pouring ATF to engine oil when you're almost due to change the oil. Won't this potencially hydrolock your engine?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:21 PM

How would it hydrolock a motor?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i would do:

synthetic oil change
oil filter
sea foam

and you should be good to go unless you also wanted to do more of a tune up with plugs, rotor, cap and some plug wires....