Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil in Spark Plug Tube

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 AM
Default Oil in Spark Plug Tube

I'm new to the honda civic. Some of the stuff is cool how it works, and some of it can be annoying. Last week I bought a 1990 Honda Civic DX. The motor was probably one of the cleanest motors I've seen for just being a little commuter car. Anyways, the problem I'm haveing righyt now is the #3 spark plug tube keeps filling with oil. I've popped the valve cover off twice now to reseal the gromet. I've replaced the gromet and siliconed the crap out of it. The oil still keeps coming.

The problem the car had when I bought itwas the cooling system.The guyhad nothing but water in the cooling system during the winter. The water froze and busted the outer thermastat housing, the thermastat, and thyen it blew out the water tube seal. When I pulled the water tube it looked like it hadsome milky oil in it. and now that I've got it running the whole colling system seems to have the milky oil. This seems to indicate blown head gasket in my head. However, the weird part is that there's nowater in the oil. And of couse the oil fillinf the #3 spark plug tube.

Could this possibly be a cracked head?Or am I overthing this whole thing?

Any imput is helpful.

Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Default RE: Oil in Spark Plug Tube

I think I may have figured it out. I found out from a different forum that there are in fact four lower spark plug tube O rings. underneath the rocker arms. Has anyone ever replaced those?

#19 in the picture is the lower seal.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Default Anyone?

Anyone?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:51 AM
Default Help!

OK,

So I replaced the lower "O" rings. It didn't fix anything. I also replaced the water pump because it started leaking out the little warning hole. It was probably just the seal, but the pump was cheap enough so I figured I should replace the whole thing. There is also still oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil. It kind of makes me scratch my head. But the spark plug tube annoys me the most. I get so much oil in there that the spark plug loses continuity with the wire. And then it over flows out of the tube. Thishappens within a couple of miles of driving.It kind of looks like there may be oil coming out of other places too, but it's hard to tell if maybe the valve cover is warped or on crooked. Does this sound like a cracked head to anyone? I don't think the guy overheated it. But I do know that he left nothing but water in the cooling system, and it's done alot of damage thus far.I've read everything from blown head gasket, to cracked head and/or block.

Any Thoughts?

Old 03-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Help!

I would run a compression and leakdown test, thats going to tell you a lot.