Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil on Spark Plugs AGAIN?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:35 PM
HCF Member
Question Oil on Spark Plugs AGAIN?

Got a 92 Civic LX automatic with 186,000 miles on it. About 2 months ago I replaced my Spark Plug seals & spark plugs because there was oil getting on 3 spark plugs(all closest to the Dizzy)...it also caused my plugs to misfire.

Last week I go to check my spark plugs(weekly check I do) and there's oil on #3 & #4 spark plugs. I check out my Plug seals and they don't look or feel damaged, cracked, or brittled at all. So I cleaned the spark plugs, put the valve cover back on as tight as I can(without twisting off bolt heads) with a new valve cover gasket.(No misfires at this point)

This weekend I pulled my Plug wires out and plugs wires #3 & #4 got oil on the tips of them. I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that this oil is coming from above the spark plugs because those 2 spark plugs have no oil in OR below the threads..all the oil is above the threads.
I have no idea where this oil is coming from...cover valve is tight, cover valve gasket & seals are in great condition....So what's going on?

I also have a oil leak from my dizzy seal..that's too easy to replace but will it have anything to do with my spark plugs being fed oil?

Thank you in advance!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:04 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb

Hello,
I had a 1994 Accord with the same type of a problem. The way I solved the leak was to put high temp. gasket sealent around the valve cover and on the head. The valve cover may be worped a little from age and not make a good seal even wtih a new gasket. I would also make sure to clean the valve and the head to insure a good seal. Check your repair book, the valve cover is only to be so tight, I do not how tight but overtight may cause a leak too. Hope you solve the problem and keep us posted. Thanks, 2010civiclx

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
HCF Member

I put high temp. gasket sealant on the corners of the Valve Cover gasket about 2 weeks ago. Should I just put it all the way around the gasket?
BTW..it's suggested to only have the bolts around the valve cover finger tight..but if I do that oil will just leak out the sides of the cover?

Also..what do you mean by "the head"?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

He meant put sealer around the spark plug holes too. Do not use too much, just a very thin coat and make sure that the mating surfaces are clean and oil-free before you start. The head is the big major piece of the engine that the valve cover attaches to. If you have oil in the stems of the wires that go down to the plug you will need to replace them or it'll just keep oozing out.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

Hello,
Like mk378 posted the head is what the valve cover is bolted to. Put gasket sealer, not to much on the holes around the valve cover gasket where the plugs are. Apply to the clean surface and do not over tighten. This solved my leak.Hope this will stop the oil from getting into the plugs.Thanks,2010civiclx

Old 10-25-2010, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

Just an update for reference....

Well I followed mk387's advice & put a thin layer of Gasket sealer on top of plug seals..But I also put some in the grooves where the seals rest in. It worked perfectly..No more oil down my spark plug tubes!

Thank you guys(2010civic & mk) for helping me out.