Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Old foam insulation blowing from vents

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default Old foam insulation blowing from vents

For more than a year now, pieces of old disintegrating foam insulation sporadically blow out of the vents of my '97 Civic when I am running the A/C (possibly also the heater but I don't remember). Have others experienced a similar problem? If so, where is the insulation coming from and do I need to worry about it? Would it be straightforward to install new foam insulation in the system?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Default RE: Old foam insulation blowing from vents

I just get dust bombs when I havent fired my car in a while. Then again it's an 89, 8 years older than yours and may not have insulation, or it's already been blown out by the previous owner (weeeehehehe)..

Old 12-11-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

Are you sure it is foam? I cannot image they would put foam in cars becasue cars would crumble it over time. Maybe previous owner stuff something in it. Can you take a picture of it or something?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ugh3012

Are you sure it is foam? I cannot image they would put foam in cars becasue cars would crumble it over time. Maybe previous owner stuff something in it. Can you take a picture of it or something?
I'm the original owner. It's broken strips of dark green spongy foam material. I think due to age the foam material is breaking down and falling apart. My assumption has been that foam strips were used to seal and insulate connection points between the blower and the air vents. I just haven't taken the time yet to disassemble everything to figure it out. Next time a piece blows out, I'll take a picture. The material reminds me of light-weight foam insulation strips that you can buy from a hardware store to seal a door, for example.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya it sounds like just the foam coming loose and blowing around....... only thing you can realy do is deal with it unfortunatly if its realy anoying then id say get some womens HOES and tape them over the vents openings behind the vent aiming things on the outside... works to hold back most the foam chunks.... and after awhile just take them off and turn the air up on FULL BLAST to blow the chunks out all at once....

its not realy insulation... just a foam like gasket that makes a tighter seal to seperate the HEAT and AC ducts... its in those flappers...

Old 12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

ya it sounds like just the foam coming loose and blowing around....... only thing you can realy do is deal with it unfortunatly if its realy anoying then id say get some womens HOES and tape them over the vents openings behind the vent aiming things on the outside... works to hold back most the foam chunks.... and after awhile just take them off and turn the air up on FULL BLAST to blow the chunks out all at once....

its not realy insulation... just a foam like gasket that makes a tighter seal to seperate the HEAT and AC ducts... its in those flappers...
Hey thanks Addiction! Gasket, that's the word I was looking for. So do you think that the loss of all this gasket material will cause any serious problems down the line. For example, what's the consequence of not having the heat and A/C ducts well separated? Would you recommend that I put in new gaskets? If so, any idea whether it's a difficult job?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

Yeah the only foam that I know of is the foam that is used to provide a seal between the vents and the air conditioning pathway.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Well, if you wanted to do it properly, you would have to pull the dash and work with every section of duct work individually. I would think that the only purpose the foam served was to make sure there were no leaks at the duct joints.

So hypothetically, the only thing you have to worry about is less air power through the vents because it's leaking out of the joints under the dash? The only problem I could think of would be condensation under the dash due to air differences, but I doubt if it would be a huge deal.

Just my 2 cents. (Which is currently worth €0.01)

Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Given the large amount of work involved in removing the dash, I think I'll just ignore the occasional gasket debris blowing from my vents. In the meantime, I noticed a whistling noise when my blower motor was running, so I popped out the blower motor from under the dash. To do this only required removal of three bolts. Pretty simple. The blower contained many leaves that I removed, and now it seems to run more quietly.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

Sounds like it is no big deal to ignore it until a large chunk of it comes out and hit you in the face while you are racing. LOL... I want a picture of that when it happens.

Quick Reply: Old foam insulation blowing from vents