Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only half of my speakers work

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Default only half of my speakers work

ok so i have a bose system in my car right, and sometimes the right side of the car cuts out and only the left side plays the music, but once i change the volume either up or down it cuts back in again. when im sitting still this does not happen.

so my guess is that its a loose connection at either the speakers or at the cd player and whever i go over a bump or something it cuts out. this would make sense since its only half of my system not the entire thing, which leads me to believe that the connection for one side is loose.

or is it something else? i dont want to tear plastic panels out until im more or less positive of what the problem is.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: only half of my speakers work

bring it over to my house...ill rip them out for you.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: warrenG

ok so i have a bose system in my car right, and sometimes the right side of the car cuts out and only the left side plays the music, but once i change the volume either up or down it cuts back in again. when im sitting still this does not happen.

so my guess is that its a loose connection at either the speakers or at the cd player and whever i go over a bump or something it cuts out. this would make sense since its only half of my system not the entire thing, which leads me to believe that the connection for one side is loose.

or is it something else? i dont want to tear plastic panels out until im more or less positive of what the problem is.
I agree with the loose connection theory. First test the right speaker connector behind the CD player because this may be easier to do than removing the door trim.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

what you might do also is go on your stereo and test each speaker from there...first do back right then front right then back left and then back right...

balence and fade....ballance is Left - Right and Fade is Front back

Old 12-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Unless the wires have been cut somewhere down the middle, the problem is theoretically at one of the two ends: Where the wires meet the head unit, or where the wires meet the speaker. And, because you say two speakers go out at once (the whole right side), I would guess it's at the plug that connects to your head unit.

Is the Bose system aftermarket or stock? If aftermarket, I could understand if a connection came loose behind the center console. If stock... Well, I suppose it's possible that something just jiggled loose. It happens.

If it ends up not being a connection problem, it could be some weakness in the circuitry of the head unit itself. But, more than likely it's a connection problem. Just my two cents.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:56 PM

no chris, we are not tearing out my speakers...

see, it only happens if i go over a bump or something like that while driving like i can sit in my driveway and play all day long thats why i think its a loose connection. i also agree that it has to be on one of the two ends.
im not sure if its stock or aftermarket im thinking aftermarket because after visiting the bose website they said they dont offer stock speakers for my car.
so its most likely a loose connection and i really hope its behind the head unit because i dont feel like messing with the speakers themselves. but i need to fix it asap because it gets annoying after a while. lol.
thanks for the input guys.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

dude...didn't you say you had an amp?...if its amped, then you have other things to check...Check rca's and the connections going off the amp...thats where most stuff gets unplugged

Old 12-09-2007, 02:30 PM

ok ill do that because my amp is really easy to get to... its just right behind the seats in this cage thing.
so ill check that, and if it still does it then ill check behind the deck, and if it still does it, then ill check the speakers...and if it still does it, then ill pray because satan must have gotten into my car.
jk.