Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Open Instrumentation and Electronics under dash board

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Default Open Instrumentation and Electronics under dash board

Recently I bought a 2008 Civic LX 4 Door Sedan in October 2007 and had a remote starter put on it by the dealer. After about two weeks I happened to look under the dashborad from outside - where the gas and break pedal are. To my surprise I found that some mechnical parts, wires and electronics are open and can be easily reached by anybody. I went to the dealer and I was told that it is always open in all 2008 Civics. I am not satisfied with this answer and so is posting it here. My concern is there is pretty sensitive instrumentation below the dash board that is open and is prone to the damager and damage - both to the driver and to the instrumentation. My question is is it really the case that there is no cover provided by the manufacturer or my car is missing something? I would like to see the pictures of other Civics also either proving me or dealer wrong. I have a 2004 Accord also - but there I have a proper cover for the instrumentation below the dash board.

Also, when I put the remote starter on my Civic I was told that when I remote start it disables the remote and will not be use keyless entry. Is this true?[/align]

Old 11-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Open Instrumentation and Electronics under dash board

Certainly on the older models there is no cover. It's very hard to reach that stuff even when you're trying to so I don't think accidental damage is likely. You could go to a dealer or send one of your friends and ask to see another 08 pretending to be interested in buying one and see how it is made.

Check the instruction manual for the remote start/keyless unit. If the dealer didn't give you a manual go back and request it. That's going to be a third-party device so depending on which one you have they will all be different.