Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out with the auto in with the manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

yea i will miss the auto in traffic lol, but still be glad to be manual.
a little progress up-date, i have changed the brake pedal to a manual (smaller) one, installed the clutch pedal, master cylinder and lines ready to hook up to the new gearbox. i'm relying on the my car to get me around, so i need to think of everything to make time off road as quick as poss.
i have a vtec loom + ecu, so i will be changing the whole loom, less mess and it should make things easier for sure.
i must say i really appreciate all the good advise, keep it coming

Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

oh and i wanted to ask about the fuel pumps and injectors, as far a performance whats recommended?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Stock is fine on those. The stock fuel pump can already pump much more than the engine ever needs. Unless you have an extreme turbo or supercharger setup, "performance" ignition systems are also a waste of money.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
he doesn't need the wiring harness but it would make things a lot easier. it'll just cost more. if you don't get the wiring harness you'll need an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness for the ECU end of the wiring, some custom wiring at the distributor, and you'll need to run your own VTEC wires.

not criticizing your comment, just adding to it so there's another option for him
i'm curious as to why you say he will need an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness... the d16z6 is an OBD1 engine, as is his current car, no conversion needed.... right?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mcmichael13
i'm curious as to why you say he will need an OBD2 to OBD1 conversion harness... the d16z6 is an OBD1 engine, as is his current car, no conversion needed.... right?
yea that's true, but he said he's using a d15y7 (he made a typo).
i'm not sure if he meant D16Y7, or D15B7
because if for some reason he has a D16Y7 (idk maybe it was swapped in), he might be using the OBD2 wiring harness.

i'm going to guess that he has a D15B7 though since it would be the right engine if he has never had the engine swapped before. in that case, you would be right.

we need to get the facts straight.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

yeah i wasn't criticizing you either haha, but you had me question my own knowledge for a second, def need to get some facts straight.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:58 PM
HCF Member

lol my bad, its a d15b7, sorry for the confusion.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:11 PM

alright, then you don't need the wiring harness. but since you already have the D16Z6 wiring harness go ahead and use it for sake of simplicity.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

you will need a starter from a manual, and the front transmission mount as well...

how's it going so far?

Old 08-11-2008, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

i haven't started the conversion yet, but i have changed the brakes on the rear to disks. i'm having a bit of trouble gettin the brakes to work properly, although i've bled the system through all round and the fluid is running through, the brakes still seem to be a little spongy. would like to get this little issue sorted before i carry on with other things.

Quick Reply: out with the auto in with the manual