Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

OVERHEATING (a little tricky, PLEASE READ AND HELP!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Default OVERHEATING (a little tricky, PLEASE READ AND HELP!)

I want to apologize if this is a repeat question, but it's kind of a specific situation so I wanted to take the time to explain.

Okay, I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX SE 2 Door Coupe 1.7L 4Cylinder Automatic. It has about 120k miles on it (I do a lot of driving). A few months ago when it was absolutely freezing out, I noticed that my heat did not work ONLY on my feet, so I was using it on the vents up top. Than, I noticed that the heat would only work intermittently, didn't really think anything of it I guess, thought it was just cold out. Now, a few weeks ago, I was driving home and noticed that my temperature gauge was ALLL the way up past hot, but I didn't smell anything burning, the car SOUNDED fine. So I called my uncle the next morning (he is my go-to guy for car stuff) and brought it over there, he said that the radiator hose was EXTREMELY pressurized, so we let it cool down opened it up, refilled with anti-freeze/coolant, and I bought a new radiator cap from the dealer, thinking maybe it was just loose or something. Was okay for a week or 2, than the gauge started overheating again --bought a thermostat, but never got it put in because, again, the problem stopped happening. But THIS TIME when my uncle looked at it, there was almost NO antifreeze left at all. So we refilled again, and now today, the gauge is going up again. Seems that it goes UP when I accelerate and down when I brake. I have never changed my timing belt/water pump, etc. or the thermostat, just regular oil changes, got my trans fluid flushed a few times. I just find it weird that it doesn't happen ALL the time, only intermittently. Also, is it maybe that there is a leak since when we looked at it it was almost gone? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! I don't have a problem paying to get fixed whatever needs to be done, but I don't want to get ripped off either so that's why I want to try to get as much info as possible before I take it somewhere! THANK YOU! e-mail me if you want any further info krysti.ferrari@yahoo.com

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is white smoke coming from the exhaust? Is there any oil or gas bubbles seen in the coolant? Is there any coolant seen in the engine oil? If not, (step 1) have you uncle install the new thermostat and then thoroughly bleed the cooling system of trapped air. Then go from there.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:52 AM

Thank you for the information...

I am going to look and see if there is white smoke and have my uncle look at those other things you mentioned and than I will re-post. If there is any of those symptoms, do you know what it may be?

Thank you for your help!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

White smoke in the exhaust, exhaust gas bubbles or oil in the coolant, and coolant in the engine oil would indicate a blown head gasket.

By the way, driving a car with an engine that overheats risks destroying the entire engine, if this has not already happened. Stop driving the car until the problem is fixed.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You are losing coolant somewhere. If (hopefully) it is not an internal leak in the engine, it is one of the hoses or other parts on the outside. Look carefully for leaks. Commonly, the radiator and hose connections become leaky. It is helpful to drive up on ramps and get under the car.

Do not drive while low on coolant. If you absolutely must drive before you find the problem, carry some with you and top it up every time the engine is cold.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 PM

there is no white smoke or gas/ bubbles in the coolant so thats a plus i think? lol

However, like I said before, I have NEVER gotten the timing belt or water pump done and someone on another site said that the water pump could have something to do with it? Also, is it possible that it's the thermostat since it only happens once in a while?

If there IS a leak, its got to be something SUPER tiny because I never see any puddles or leaking anywhere and I never smell antifreeze burning or overflow when I get out of the car, but I always have some in my trunk anyway.

Ever since Saturday when it happened, it hasn't happened again. It's totally intermittent.

I want to thank everyone in advance for all the help, I'm sure I'm super annoying lol I am definitely your typical girl and i really just don't want to get ripped off