Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Painting My Body Kit - What Is The BEST Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Default Painting My Body Kit - What Is The BEST Paint?

Hey Everyone,

This question goes to all of those who know a thing or two about spraypaint. I just got a body kit and I wanted to paint everything black, (front bumper, side skirts, and rear bumper). I was planning to:

1) Sand everything down with sand paper
2) Sand everything down with a finer sand paper dipped in some water
3) Prime it (2-3 coats)
4) Paint it (2-3 coats)
5) Add a clear coat (1 coat)

All done of course in a dust free environment.

My front bumber is "Polyethelen" or something along those lines and the rest is fibre glass. What is the best paint to use on this material to avoid chipping of the paint, and help it hold up in rough conditions, like a Canadian winter.

Below is the paint I bought from Canadian Tire, (my local hardware store). The guy who sold me the paint looked like he was 14, so I want a second opinion. Below is the paint I bought:

Here is the primer and the colour:
(Click for big version)http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/fgajtani/Image005.jpg
Name:  Image005.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  67.7 KB

This is the clear coat:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...i/Image006.jpg
Name:  Image006.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  55.0 KB

Thanks

Old 09-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Default RE: Painting My Body Kit - What Is The BEST Paint?

Anyone at all know anything?

Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Painting My Body Kit - What Is The BEST Paint?

um you should be able to get away with spray bombs but you will get a better turn out with a Base/Clear from DuPont sprayed out of a gun (conventional or HVLP based on what hp compressor you got) i work in a autopaint store so if you are on LI or NY ill hook you up other wise you should be able to get a good finish out of spray cans if you do it right and dont rush

if the polyetherlene bumper is flexible go out and get some SEM Flexible Primer surfacer #39133 best way to go cause it will flex with the bumper and will be less likely to crack or chip, its you foundation coat so if it chips the top will chip...so try not to use a straight sandable primer as it is not designed to flex with the bumper

O and your color coat is "HIGH GLOSS" says so on the can so a Clear is NOT needed unless your going to scuff the color coat cause adheasion of gloss on gloss SUCKS!!!! also i sell both SEM and DupliColor so i would go with duplicolor color coat cause i cant give you any opinion on that Canadian ****! lol