Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PLEASE help....battery problem....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Default PLEASE help....battery problem....

ok, the car didnt start for a few days, then it magiclly started once. I beleive it's the terminals because I've had this problem before. I live in CHICAGO off CLARK street, if anyone can come help me, I would appreciate it so much. I dont know anything about cars and dont have the money to have it fixed, so I will try to do it myself. If anyone knows someone in the chicago area or knows where I should post this so I have a better chance of finding someone in chicago, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

my email is ...atmarama108@hotmail.com

Old 03-02-2005, 03:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: PLEASE help....battery problem....

its your terminals. tighten with plyers, when you go to tighten the positive or red terminal... dont let your free hand touch the body... that is if you dont want a wake up call of 12 volts. But it is ok to touch the Red terminal as long as you dont touch anything else metal at the same time

Old 03-02-2005, 03:09 PM

ok, which terminal is which, when I working on it, it's the one on the right that needs tightening. Corosion keeps building up, so I put COKE on it, works sometimes. Clean it with baking soda, didnt last for long, then I put some type of wax on it and the corosion still built up some how. How can I stop this corosion from building up?? If anyone lives in CHICAGO, please help me, I have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

cant really stop it... its not corrosion, its battery acid that causing corrsion. Each terminal should have eithor a red plus or a black minus by it. Some arent colored but you get the deal. Dont pour coke on your terminals... you electric or computer cleaner to do that. You can get some at your local office, electronics store.

All you have to do is ighten the clamps around the post. If you cant do it, take your car by a Car stereo shop, or a mechanic, I will be shocked if they charge you for a qwik help.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

actually, the Coke isnt that bad of an idea. its a base, so it will neutralize the acid. but petroleum jelly works well to stop the buildup. clean it really well with baking soda (make sure none gets into the vent holes, it can blow the battery up.) but Coke is more of an emergency thing for when you get acid on your skin. you can also buy a spray that cleans them. and you dont have to worry about shocking yourself, its DC power, it wont shock you. but dont let a tool touch the positive (red) and any metal.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:31 PM

Throw some sodium hydroxide solution on there and it'll clean that beotch right up.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:26 PM

Also, you can buy a can of terminal sealer to spray over the connection after you've got it all cleaned and reconnected, and that usually protects it really well.