Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PLEASE I NEED MAJOR HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Default PLEASE I NEED MAJOR HELP

Ok heres the problem. My freind has a 95 civic ex with a 97 motor in it. On the ignition system they have an external MSD coil. Well the wires going from the coil to the distributor were kinda pinched in the distributor cap so the wires isulation wore off and were grounding themselfs out so the car had no spark. Well heres where it gets interesting. I replaced the wires for the MSD and ground a hole in the distributor cap so they wouldnt rub anymore. I have spark now which is what we thought was the problem because it wasnt sparking. I have fuel i have compression and the timing is right on. However the car still wont fire over and im just out of ideas. Is there any sensor that could keep if from starting even though we have fuel air spark compression and timing which is basically all you need to get a motor running. The motor wont even POP like it wants to fire so im confused any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: PLEASE I NEED MAJOR HELP

More information might help.

For example:

Has the engine ever run since installing it?

Are plug wires properly matched between distributor cap and cylinders?

Were new coil wires correctly connected to distributor?

Is the ECU matched with the engine?

Does the Check Engine Light (CEL) stay ON?

Might the coil have been damaged by the electrical short?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:01 PM

The car was running fine then one day when she was driving it the car stumbled and then died. The coil is still good. I tested it with an ohm meter and it has 3.5 kohms. Plugs and wires are matched to the cylinders never took them off the distributor. When i did the coil wires they were done one at a time so i made sure i didnt mix them up. The ECU im not sure of im assuming no because she still has an OBDI connecter for an OBDII motor also still has the 95 wiring harness to the 97 motor. MIL light is off never been on although if its not the right ECU would it be able to recognize any problems. I dont think it really has anything to do with the coil or fuel delivery because it has spark now also has fuel going into the cylinders. Im kinda out of ideas on this one

Old 12-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Could it be a problem with air intake at the throttle body?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM

As in not getting air? or a bad sensor at the throttle body?

Im pretty sure its getting air because the compression is still good. I could be wrong though.

Would it hurt the motor to spray some starting fluid in the cylinders to see if it will pop? I was thinking about unplugging the fuel injectors and try to spray some starting fluid in there to see if it will pop at all. Is there any way the plugs could be grounding out when they are put in the cylinders. I am getting a strong spark when i spark test them by grounding them to the exhaust mani. but when i pull out the plugs after trying to start it they are gas soaked.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:21 PM

spray they starter fluid, i dont think it would be bad, but i wouldn't want you to think me responsible for damaging your engine, so do so at your own risk but id give it a spray

Old 12-01-2007, 04:21 PM

Well it started to snow today so ill have to try it out tomorrow ill let you guys know what i find

Old 12-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is it possible that the shorted coil wires damaged the Crankshaft Position/Top Dead Center/Cylinder Position (CKPITDCICYP) Sensor (see pictures)? This sensor is located within the distributor. A bad sensor could explain your inability to start the car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/598F6BB839364B7CBFCE5C5B6FB33F12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/8C1957A7C7E34116871FCE9C9CD7E1FF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/88F275C0B0CD4B5783D79BF1FFDFC025.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

if you took the dizzy off and didnt put it on at exactly the same spot could be a timing problem? just a guess

Old 12-03-2007, 11:45 AM

ok guys i tried the starting fluid and nothing. That TDC sensor actually makes sense because the wires were grouding out the the distributor housing so i could very well have damaged it. I think the next step in a new distributor but sadly probably going to be done by Honda its getting way to cold to do it outside and its dead on the side of the road so Honda here we come.