Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Possible clogged heater core

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Default Possible clogged heater core

So after I finally got my coolant system burped, was which not easy due to the single digit weather we have been having in michigan I notice while driving my heat was fluctuation. I run a ob2 scan guage 2 on the dash so i car see real time engine data. During the head gasket issue i could see temp fluctuation pretty accurately down to 5 degrees. So recently the temps took a cold dive and i have the heater on full blast. First few days heat was deathly hot, then i noticed it wasn't as hot. Then next day deathly hot. Lat night it was really hot, then luke warm. I thought ****, here we go I lost coolant. But guage showed little change and i popped the hood system was full. Now when I did the timing belt 60k ago i also did the water pump. When I refilled I just used regular universal coolant. During the head gasket, working the cold I didn't drain the radiator. I tried to stay off the garage floor as much as possible. But I did replace the thermostat, was not a stant think it was made in isreal. I have read people saving they had a gelling issue with mixing Honda coolant, im surprised since it was already mixed. Oh yeah i also checked the heat/cold valve under the hood. Moved both ways.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:35 AM

So i braved the cold weather this morning and removed my airbox, and drove over to the local car wash. Once there I removed the hoses going from the engine to the heater core.(supply and return) Then i stuck the power washer on low and let it run until the fluid turned from white to clear water. Now I'm in the process of bleeding the system again.