Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power steering rebuild - missing piece?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Default Power steering rebuild - missing piece?

I managed to fully screw myself over by dropping the power steering pump in the middle of rebuilding it and can't figure out this one piece

It goes in between the assembly of the pump and it looks like it's just a group of these small metal rectangular blocks that come together around the end piece of the shaft? I managed to find all the missing block pieces but I'm not sure how they assemble back together. Do they just sit on the inside of the housing on that shaft? Does anyone have any clue? Would rather figure this out than spend $140 on a new pump.

http://i44.tinypic.com/igka47.png

Old 10-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Seems like I found it.. It's this middle piece in this video at 1:05. I have those little metal shims but I can't for the life of me find that middle piece that holds the shims. Must have rolled away somewhere when I dropped the pump. I guess I'll try my luck at a junkyard??

Video here @1:05 mark >>

Old 10-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's a vane type pump. The flat pieces just ride free in the rotor part. You have to have all of them installed or it will have a terrible vibration. The end of each vane that goes toward the outside should have a polished appearance.

If you go to a junkyard, just buy a complete pump and don't take it apart.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Found it! Hidden under a cluster of rubbish. I really need to clean up around here. Anyway I put it all back together, topped up the fluid and tried to bleed the system. The steering is very tight and feels as if there is no power assist at all. I removed the 'return hose' to the fill container and there was a very slight trickle coming out of the return hose as if the pump wasn't being spun fast or at all. Could there be a clog or did I screw up a pressure valve? Looks like I have to take it apart again..

Old 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM

Just an update.. Went ahead and replaced the pump with a relatively low mile pump from the junkyard. Steering was hard for a few miles but the air bled out slowly and now it's 100% again. Super smooth and easy to move while parked.