Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Power windowns locks stopped working?

Old 10-20-2008, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default Power windowns locks stopped working?

92 civic
so i get in my car today and turn it on and all of a sudden the power windows and door locks stopped working. i checked the fuse for them and they have different fuses and they both look good. i noticed there is a window relay in the fuse box too but how would that explain the power door locks? need this fixed fast, i have no a/c and live in texas lol!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether fuse 36 (50A) under the hood is blown. This could explain both problems.

Name:  picture_1523.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  77.9 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 10-20-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, explain to me how you live in Texas without A/C. This is incongruous.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
By the way, explain to me how you live in Texas without A/C. This is incongruous.

I live in Alabama with no a/c... lol. It's not that bad.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by baker
I live in Alabama with no a/c... lol. It's not that bad.
You are a much tougher cookie than I am.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

oh its bad, lol. im just too lazy to fix it cuz i gotta keep up with my 2 trucks. anywho, i went to replace that fuse when i screwed in the right side of the fuse, it started poppin and tryin to catch fire kinda so i had to unscrew it. if i completley take off the fuse then my car wont start, wtf is this fuse for exactly? the fuse i tried to replace it with is an 80, could this cause it to try and pop? i wouldnt think so because i also wondered how the hell it popped in the first place...it seems like something is crossed but i have no idea where to even begin.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is your under-hood fuse box identical to that shown in the diagram in my first post? Was the original fuse 36 blown? Did the area where it was inserted appear burned prior to insertion of the 80A fuse?

You must replace fuse 36 with a matching 50A fuse. The lack of fuse 36 should not prevent the car from starting. The short circuiting may indicate that the under-hood fuse box itself is bad. From here on out, disconnect the battery when working with the fuse box.

The diagram below shows the components protected by fuse 36:

Name:  picture_1531.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  62.9 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 10-21-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

nope, it doesnt look burned to me. thats why i was wondering wtf this fuse controls lol. when its off it wont turn on, like the fuel pump is out or something but that fuse has nothing to do with it. yes fuse 36 was blown when i checked it. but whats funny is - when i first removed the fuse that was blown, i turn the car on and drove it to o reily to buy the fuse. when i turned it off and tried to turn it back on (without the fuse) it wouldnt work, then i put the new fuse and it started sparking. then i put the old fuse in or the new fuse with only the left screw tightened and it starts fine...does all this make sense?

Old 10-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

My guess is that the under-hood fuse box itself is bad (has a short circuit).

Old 10-23-2008, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

it couldnt be a wire crossed somewhere? my windows and locks seemed to stop working when i was driving home from work and a wire behind my radio started smoking. when i pulled out the radio one of the wires was uncovered, so i covered it back up with the tape. so im guessing it touched something somewhere, but how could that wire pop a fuse and then make it act like a wire is crossed somewhere...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power windowns locks stopped working?