Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

pressed rotors 00 honda civic dx

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:43 PM
HCF Member
Default pressed rotors 00 honda civic dx

I have a 2000 honda civic DX which has pressed rotors. what do I need to do to either A) upgrade my rotors or B) change so I can upgrade my rotos. I am looking for a BIG BREAK KIT UPGRADE. Is it possible to cahng out my control arm? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance to all.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

I don't think you have pressed on rotors on your DX. If you have removed the phillips screws already and the rotor won't come off, you can
A) smack it with a hammer or
B) insert 10mm bolts into the other two holes in the rotor to get them off.

If the rotors are indeed pressed on, you will need a slide hammer to remove them.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Chubby Chaser

they arent pressed on, they have the 2 screws that hold them on, and if you want to upgrade brakes to bigger brakes, you can get then from an acura integra, also you can swap the rear to disc brakes.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:51 AM
HCF Member

They are pressed rotors. I have changed them before. Well let me take that back. by the time I was done I ended up taking off the hole control arm down to a shop to unpress them. what I am trying to do is upgrade to a break kit. I really would like to chage my control arm to one that dosen't have presses on rotors if that can even be done. unless anybody has any advice.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

As stock, the front rotors come off the outside of the hub with no pressing. You must already have some parts that are not stock.

The large cast iron part that the caliper bolts to, which also holds the wheel bearing and hub and swivels when you steer, is called the "steering knuckle". I think this is the part you are referring to as the control arm.

Edit: or are you talking about the back brakes? Stock rear brakes on a 2000 DX were drums, I think.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Chubby Chaser

can you take a pic of the front rotor/hub assembly, so we can see what you are talking about , because all stock front/rear rotors on a honda/ acura arent pressed on.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

I didn't want to take everything apart untill I did more research. so me taking a picture right now would be pointless. I bought the car new back in 2000 so I have been the only one making changes to it and yes I am referring to the knuckle. This is what I can tell you for a fact. When I changed my rotors back in 2004 I did everything to take of my rotors before I started to take the "steering knuckle" off. once i got it off I ended up taking it to a shop out in town. The man told me that it was pressed on which was new to me and didn't add up. I watched him put it on a machine that allowed it to come off with in a min or so, then he took my new rotor placed it on the hub I heard a little pop noise from the machine and that was that. total time 2 mins. I have looked alot of places online and have read many diffrent statements. I get a yes they are pressed some places and some place I get a no they are not. I belevie you when you tell me they are not pressed, but the bottom line is my rotors will not come off and they are not just stuck from rust. So I dont know what it can be...

Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Chubby Chaser

all im askin is jack it up take rim off and take a pic

Old 09-29-2009, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

ok here they r

Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Chubby Chaser

are where ????

Quick Reply: pressed rotors 00 honda civic dx