Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:10 PM
Default RE: problem!!! HELP ME PLEASE!!

I'm gonna reset the Check Engine Light tonight and then wait for it to come back on again. Once it comes back on i think i'll take it back to autozone to get the codes pulled again and see if anything has changed ... if not i was reading in my haynes manual about fuel system checks and will do that, i'll just have to buy a fuel pressure gauge. I'm starting to think that i should have trusted the dealership in the first place when they told me it was the fuel pressure regulator. If any of you guys think otherwise or can think of another option that would be awesome. Thanks for all the help you guys are lifesavers.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:14 PM
HCF Member

Write down the codes this time.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:49 PM

I just went to autozone to pull the codes again, since CEL came back on. This time i only pulled 2 codes, misfire codes were gone so changing plugs, wires, etc. did good, the codes were a too lean code and a too rich code for bank 1 (PO170 and PO171). So i am almost positive it is the fuel pressure regulator. Went ahead and got one and will be putting it on in just a few hours. So i will tell you guys how it goes. Hope this is it!!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

Get a fuel pressure guage first and make sure that the FPR is putting out an incorrect fuel pressure before you replace it.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:31 PM
HCF Member

I work at AutoZone. We are not all morons. Just some. Those codes are codes for O2 sensors if memory serves correct. If its not the O2 sensor then its a vacuum leak somewhere most likely. Ive pulled these codes plenty of times and told the customers the same thing im saying to you. Its usually the O2 sensor about 75% of the time. Thats just my input.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:56 AM

I already ordered the FPR. I'm almost positive that its the FPR because when i replaced the spark plugs,wire, distributor cap and rotor the only thing that looked slightly worn was the spark plugs (because of the FPR making it run too rich at times). Also when i took it to the dealership for a "diagnostics" to see if my warranty would cover it (of course it didn't) they told me that it was the FPR ... so basically i think of it as i payed them 90$ to check the fuel pressure for me which sucks.

I ordered this part first (http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...2430&c=107&l=2) which turned out to be just an add on to the stock regulator to make it increase the pressure. So about 3 hours after when i realized that, i called them back and told the customer service rep the story and told him i needed a FPR. So i finally decided to get the NRG FPR (http://www.sportcompactonly.com/prod...2117&c=107&l=2) and asked him if it included everything that i would need to change it (i.e: adapters, hose, gauge, etc.) and he said yes ... so i get the two packages today and instead of the FPR and an adapter they gave me the FPR and the add on part that i cancelled (which they didn't charge me for). So i'm planning on tommorrow to call them back and get it fixed and hopefully will be able to change the FPR on monday or tuesday.

ORIGINAL: Si Jonny

I work at AutoZone. We are not all morons. Just some. Those codes are codes for O2 sensors if memory serves correct. If its not the O2 sensor then its a vacuum leak somewhere most likely. Ive pulled these codes plenty of times and told the customers the same thing im saying to you. Its usually the O2 sensor about 75% of the time. Thats just my input.

In the booklet that the guy at Autozone had that was one of the possibilities listed along with fuel injectors and other random ones. I don't really doubt the knowledge of you guys haha technically the guy was right to suggest plugs, wires, etc. because i was misfiring and since i've changed them it no longer misfires.

however like i said before the rough idle only occurs at cold start until it warms up then the problem subsides substantially. I also ran BG44K through a tank of gas to clean out the Fuel System and it did nothing for the problem, thus i am slightly ruling out the fuel injectors as the problem. I'm not sure about problems with 02 sensors as i have never had a problem. But wouldn't an 02 sensor problem give me a problem for the duration of driving and not just during the initial cold start up?

Thank you guys for all of your input you have been really helpful.

P.S: planning on going turbo either this summer or next summer so i figured an adjustable FPR would have to be done sooner or later ... so even if it is an 02 sensor (or some other miscellaneous thing) i will not feel that it was a waste of money.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

I don't know what the requirments for working at AutoZone are, but they never called me back when i applied. Maybe its because i'm only 17.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 AM

Finally changed the FPR and thats the problem haven't had a bad idle yet ... now i just have to tune it to the right psi because for some reason the stock setting was running so lean that it wasn't going anywhere. Me and my friend figured it was because of the bigger tubing or something.