Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

question about putting air in tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 AM
HCF Member
Default question about putting air in tires

So I noticed that my front drivers side tire is a little low on air. dont laugh, but I've never put air in a car tire before. Umm what do I do? lol I know lots of you are all laughing at me right now but is it like a bike tire? you go to a gas station with air and take a little cap off the tire and just fill it up? Can you over inflate it? Like how do I know when to stop filling it up?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: question about putting air in tires

Buy a tire pressure gauge. If you overfill, simply release some air pressure from the tire valve.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

haha, yep just like a bike tire.most gas stations have pressure gauges on the air pumps outside. just fill your tire to either 35 or 40 psi and make sure the rest of your tires are at the same pressure.anything over 44 psi is over inflated.if you notice that it the same tire looks low in a few days, check the pressure and if it is low, it probably has a slow leak that can most likely be fixed at any tire shop.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
HCF Member

The pressure gauges that are on the machines at the gas station are very inaccurate. I would suggest buying your own, they are like 5 bucks at the most...

Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You have to check the pressure when the tire is cold. If you have to drive more than a mile or so to the gas station, the tire will have heated up and give you a false reading. I suggest buying one of those little compressors that plugs into the lighter so you can do it at home, as well as a decent gauge.

Most standard car tires should never be filled over 35 psi, cold. I think Honda recommends about 32 psi, but check your owner's manual or the sticker on the car (either inside the glove box or the driver's door). If you overfill the tires you can lose traction.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if your a female.... just ask somebody at a tire shop....
most will have ya pull up to their bay and top ya off no problem, free....

but if the tire is leaking air and gets low again then you got a nail or screw in the tire and you need the tire shop to check for nails and for them to fix the tire.
its best to just go to a tire shop and tell them you think the tire has a nail in it because its low, they will pull the car into the bay and take off the tire and look for a leak and them to patch the tire and put it back on the car.