Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

radiator fan not working II

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:23 PM
HCF Member
Default radiator fan not working II

many months back, i made a post about my radiator fan not turning on, and i was replied with several answers. first was to unplug the switch that is connected to the thermostat housing, which i believe is the connector right above where the radiator hose connects to the engine on the passenger side, and use a paper clip and connect the two wires in that connector when the key is at the on position and the fan should come on. so i did this a long time ago with the paper clip, i think i did it right, but the fan didn't come on, so i concluded that the fan was down. and since my car never really overheated, even during this past summer, i never bothered to fix it.

recently, i've been seriously considering to turbo my civic, so i have to make sure that it is in proper running condition, so when i was doing an oil change, i was curious and checked the fan also. i took wires and connected the fan right up to the battery, and what do you know, it's alive.

so i tried to follow the two wires coming off the fan, but it connects straight into a wiring harness with a bunch of other wires and starts to split here and there. so my question is, does anyone know where i can go and directly look for where the two fan wires end up, or do i have to cut open all the wiring harnesses and follow the two wires??
help would be appreciated, thankz

Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: radiator fan not working II

well ya could always just wire them up to always be ON with the ignitions RUN position.
are you sure your fans not kicking on? i know my fan doesnt seem to kick on that i know of BUT it does keep cool.LOL

just has to get hot enough..... and most the time its fine i guess......

Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 AM

If you jumpered the connector for the thermoswitch on the thermostat housing and the fan didn't turn on when the ignition is on, but it turned on when connected directly to the battery, then the relay for the fan is most likely bad. It is in the fuse box right by the battery, and that relay should be the same part number as the one for the rear defogger, which is also in that fuse box so you can easily check to see if that is the problem.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes for most model years there is a fuse and a relay for the fan in the underhood fuse box next to the battery.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

thankz guys, i'll go check it right now

a relay, i checked the fuse but never thought that there was a relay, i'm an idiot, sigh

Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

next to the cooling fan relay, there is a clutch relay, and a condensor fan relay. i don't see any relay for the rear defogger so which one should i use??

and would i check it by jumping the connector on the thermostat again right??

Old 10-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Just check the part number on it. I thought it was rear defogger, but I am obviously wrong. Once switching them, then yes just check it again using the jumper method.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

alright, thankz, i'll check it as soon as i have time and post back later