Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Radiator Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:56 AM
HCF Member
Default Radiator Swap?

I was looking for a bit of a radiator upgrade but keeping with my build style i'm going with OEM. I know that the Del Sol rad is much thicker, so i could go with that but they are virtually non-existent around here. Will an Integra radiator work? do they bolt right up or do they require some modification?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

why a radiator swap? as long as the radiator is doing its job just keep it stock.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

Integra's have dual core radiators instead of the half core radiator that your civic has. You would have to drill out the mount, then reweld it over towards the driver side of the core support. Then the hoses have to be modified because Integra coolant hoses are larger diameter then civic hoses.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by addiction2bass
why a radiator swap? as long as the radiator is doing its job just keep it stock.
It's because i need to replace it anyway, the end tanks are beginning to seep and i don't want to deal with that ****. I've taken this philosophy through my entire build that if i got to replace it, i might as well upgrade a little.

with a used rad too i can have it cleaned real nice and just thrown back on there.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There's really no need to oversize the radiator. If the stock one has been keeping the engine at normal temperature, it is adequate. When the radiator is too large, the thermostat will just close more and limit its capacity, so the big radiator and the water it contains is just excess weight.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
HCF Member

I'm not going for a giant radiator, i understand this concept quite well.

The Del Sol radiator differs from the stock ones, only in it's thickness. it's a dual core radiator. Much more efficient for cooling, which is what i am looking for. I asked a simple question, i just wanted to know if the integra one can fit, because it's not that much bigger than our rads but can dissipate more heat. It requires more modification than i care to deal with right now and now i'm just gonna buy a replacement Del Sol rad.

Plus before the leaking occured i would get close to overheating on a few occasions. Nothing serious and it had nothing to do with the thermostat, air bubbles or any other cooling problem other than what seemed to me to be a blocked up old rad. I flushed the system to no avail.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well imust say NEVER BUY A USED RADIATOR...

efficient or what ever... if your rocken the stock motor just replace it with a stock radiator. direct fit and effective just as good! no need to modify anything else for no different effect...

Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by koots
The Del Sol radiator differs from the stock ones, only in it's thickness. it's a dual core radiator. Much more efficient for cooling, which is what i am looking for. I asked a simple question, i just wanted to know if the integra one can fit, because it's not that much bigger than our rads but can dissipate more heat. It requires more modification than i care to deal with right now and now i'm just gonna buy a replacement Del Sol rad.
I don't think so man... my Del Sol radiator looks identical to the one in my old Civic.

It may be the Del Sol VTEC with the B16A3 motor that has a thicker radiator.