Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Random Dead Battery Syndrom

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
kg3
Default Random Dead Battery Syndrom

Well the last couple of days at random times my car acts as if the battery is dead. No lights or on or anything and after a jump it was away we go.
Anyway this happen twice and then the car didn't even want to idle just dieing and sputtering when the clutch was disengaged dangerous when the damn power steering goes.
So I do the normal thing and manage to get it to my uncle's shop. I know the mechanic there and he tests just about everything on the car, battery, alternator everything or so it seemed. Of coarse it ran fine and started at the shop. Anyway today it happened again and i guess ill take it in again to see if they can sniff out the problem. Any suggestions guys?
Its just that i really want to get this straitened out before winter hits so i don't have to jump my car in that blizzard.
Oh and the battery is only 2yr and 17k old...
thanks
kg3

Old 10-23-2006, 02:32 PM
kg3
Default RE: Random Dead Battery Syndrom

Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

I think that you might have one of two problems. THe first possible problem is a bad alternator. Pretty easy to test the alternator, when the engine is running attach a multimeter to the battery. The voltage should be 13.5. The second possible problem is a parasitic draw. A parasitic draw is when something in your car is drawing current after you take the key out and it shouldn't be drawing current. Hook up a multimeter (on the current/amp setting) to your battery. Take the key out and check the current draw. There should be a very little current bieng drawn.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:17 PM
kg3

yeah the guy checked the alternator and maybe the draw... i donno its back in the shop so hopefully they can figure it out thanks!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:28 PM

hi i need help!! i have a 97 civic lx, manual transmission. i also got the random dead battery. after i stopped at autozone, they told me that the alternator was bad, so i put a new one in. it cost me 140$ plus 80$ for core -- so i lost that money -- b/c the problem is still there. from time to time, i get a blown fuse (it's 7.5 amp alternator sp sensor). i changed the fuse, it was good for 2-3 days, and then it blew out again, so the battery died again. does anyone know a possible problem of this? maybe, a slow overload somewhere because it takes 2-3 days for the fuse to blow out? i also got a problem with the speedometer sensor, but this is not the main problem. could the speedometer sensor be causing the fuses to blow in the alternator sensor (in the fuse department, middle line, fuse #4)? i really need help! if anyone knows anything, can you please reply. in my understanding, this is a strange electrical problem. thanks

Old 11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: kg3
Well the last couple of days at random times my car acts as if the battery is dead. No lights or on or anything and after a jump it was away we go.
Anyway this happen twice and then the car didn't even want to idle just dieing and sputtering when the clutch was disengaged dangerous when the damn power steering goes.
So I do the normal thing and manage to get it to my uncle's shop. I know the mechanic there and he tests just about everything on the car, battery, alternator everything or so it seemed. Of coarse it ran fine and started at the shop. Anyway today it happened again and i guess ill take it in again to see if they can sniff out the problem. Any suggestions guys?
Its just that i really want to get this straitened out before winter hits so i don't have to jump my car in that blizzard.
Oh and the battery is only 2yr and 17k old...
thanks
kg3
I would say there is a bad contact somewhere. Check and clean contacts at battery terminals, and down from there. But most probably its terminals.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

<<it's 7.5 amp alternator sp sensor). i changed the fuse>>

dont understand that fuse. what is sp ??????

Old 11-07-2006, 08:25 PM

i don't know what it means either. it just says it on the fuse box cover as the name of that fuse "7.5A alternator sp fuse"