Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear wheel toe in

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM
Default Rear wheel toe in

Hello all
I'm new to the forum

The suspension bush on the rear trailing arm failed on my Civic 1.4s (2000) (pic below)

I replaced it with a quality part, but now the rear wheel has toe in. I adjusted the toe-bar to its maximum to compensate, but it's still not enough.
I removed the new bushing, checked it, refitted it (it's all the way in the arm and correctly fitted), but the rear wheel still toes in.
Have I missed something? Is there another adjustment (apart from the connecting bar at the front of the arm)?
Any advice or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.
Bush.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Just to clarify: The first picture is the bush that failed. The rubber insides came away from the metal shell. Thanks.

Last edited by Bush; 07-15-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: double post
Old 07-25-2019, 03:32 AM

So, I got back under the car to check everything and try and adjust - and I'm convinced something is bent.
(Other family members drive this car, and no-one has said anything, but the wheel is so far out, it mush have had a whack/heavy kerb etc.)

I want to replace the axle (offside). I'd like to buy a used part from a breaker - possibly the whole trailing arm with axle assembly.

Does anyone know any breakers yards with Hondas, either close to London, or willing to courier parts?

Thanks, Bush

Old 08-03-2019, 04:46 AM

Found a second-hand trailing arm assembly- with drum brake. Mine is disc brake.
Does anyone know if I can simply swap my disc brake parts onto this arm, or is it a different set-up?
I want to keep the replacement stub axle, as I think this is the part which is causing the problem.

thanks.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Cat Fuсker

It "should" be the same part, but given that you're not in my domestic market I cannot confirm. We have a slightly different models here.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
It "should" be the same part, but given that you're not in my domestic market I cannot confirm. We have a slightly different models here.
Thanks for reply. Much appreciated.

I talked to the seller about this.
The trailing arm was from a different car (Rover 45) but 'should' fit the Honda Civic, as they are the same chassis.
I think he's correct - but, I've decided to look around a bit more, to see if I can find an exact replacement part.

I'll update when/if I get it sorted.
Thanks again.
Bush

Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 AM
Cat Fuсker

Huh....that Rover looks exactly like a civic... never knew it existed.

Before you buy a new part, throw the car on a lift and measure the distances between front and rear control arms diagonally. They should be within measuring error of each other. If they're not you may have a geometry issue still

Old 08-06-2019, 05:50 AM

That's good advice. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:28 PM

Got one!

All the bushes seem good, too.

Re the ABS: Am I likely to encounter problems if I simply swap the whole unit as it is? If I swap over the ABS cables, will I have to reset the ABS? I don't have any diagnostic equipment to do this. I'm hoping that if I just unplug the cable and plug in the replacement cable, it will still all work as it was.
Anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:43 PM
Cat Fuсker

Nothing to reset on ABS side, just make sure sensor pinout is the same and the tooth count on the wheel is the same.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel toe in