Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rebuild, Replace, or Crush?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Default Rebuild, Replace, or Crush?

I have a '89 Honda Civic LX with the 1.5L Engine. I bought it in '91 and have 124,000 miles on it. A year ago I"blew a Oil Ring" (as I term it). I am now in position totryto get the car back on the road.

Symptoms: Fouls 3rd Plug and burns oil like crazy. I did run the car with a 'cheater'(extends the sparkplug to protect it from fouling) but it ran so hot that it wouldmelt the plug wire.

The question is simple. I am looking for the cheapest alternative to get this on the road. Should I tear into this engine, should I insteadswap it out, or should I give up and get a replacementHonda?

I have been a backyard mechanic for 15 years on my vehicles, however, this would be the first time cracking an engine open. I havereplaced a few engines, a few transmissions,and everything in between but rebuildingwould be an adventure.

Thanks in advancefor any input, Stu

Old 10-11-2007, 01:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Rebuild, Replace, or Crush?

Well since a 89 civic isn't worth much, I'd say get a new honda, and rebuild the engine of you 89. It might not be very lucrative, but since you've never done it and it seems to me you'd like to try, well do it! What have you got lose?

Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
HCF Member

you can find a D series motor for a few hundred bucks on ebay. If you can do the labor its def worth it to swap it. Cheaper than getting a new car at least.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito... if you know most common mechanics i would buy one from a junk yard that warentees the motor to be in good condition and just swap the motor with smething with lower milage.....

ya could rebuild the motor but thats alot of time and alot of little things that can eat ya up cost wise and COULD still turn out to have a problem like craped or warped head or cracked block....
so i would PERSONALY just find a replacement motor for it IF YOU REALY WANT TO KEEP IT!!!!!!
the choice is realy yours.....
you could sell it AS-IS burning oil and spend that money for another vehicle of your choice...

but in the end its always up to you! what kinda money you wanna spend... if you realy wanna keep that car...

i think if you got the tools and find a good junk yard that will warente a motor for you for a decent price id replace it and keep rocking it!

just depends how much WORK or MONEY you wanna put towards it
the guy i bought my 94 civic from already replaced the motor once blew it again and just didnt want to mess with it anymore and he bought a new civic. i bought it for 400bucks got the replacement motor in as well as more things that needed or still need fixing/replacing.
even tho the car still needs more work i love the car! and after i get it all fixed up im sure i could still make a profit from it since ive done all the work myself to it.