Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Replacing Passenger Airbag Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Default Replacing Passenger Airbag Assembly

Hello, this is my first post, many more to come hopefully.
I'm an average car owner - I change my oil, had to do the work on an exhaust job (after the Cat. Converter). Right now, I'm repairing several state-mandated issues on my Civic. I failed my emissions test because of two bad O2 sensors and later got pulled over and was handed a work-order to replace my horn/airbag on the drivers side and fix a windshield crack. Anywho, I found a package on eBay of both the airbag assemblies and grabbed it up for $130 - a good deal I thought considering how hard it is to find ABs in junkers and the price shops charge for that work. I just got the steering guy in no problem but I have no clue how to replace the passenger-side dude. Anyone have any insight on this mystery? It's a '98 Civic LX.
Also, and this is a separate issue, but I have been led to believe that the O2 sensors for the front and rear (pre- and post-CatConv) are different. However, I haven't found any that are specifically made for either end. What's the deal? I grabbed a sensor off eBay for only $25, but need to replace both. Anyone have a good idea of where to get one on the cheap, whether I need to get a separate part for each side, and how to do the repair?
Thanks for your time!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think the air bag can be installed by removing the glove compartment from the car (unscrew the hinges at the bottom) and working through that opening.

You could have the common problem of frayed wires behind the engine shorting out the oxygen sensor circuit. This will set codes for both sensors, though the sensors themselves are OK. Check if fuse #15 under the dash is blown.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm sure another member will be by soon with a helpful diagram on the SRS system.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Airbag removal and installation:

Name:  picture_1566.jpg
Views: 4161
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  picture_1567.jpg
Views: 7440
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  picture_1568.jpg
Views: 4244
Size:  93.5 KB

Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone, I got the airbag in with only a moderate level of frustration. Those diagrams helped, but for the record, the cable harness is secured behind the lower dashboard panel in front of the stick-shift (where the 9V outlet is), and that panel has to be at least partially removed to completely remove the airbag.
As for my O2 sensor: I haven't gotten to the nitty-gritty yet, but the tip about a fried wire went "click" when I read it. I had a big electrical problem where my alternator went up, I replaced it with a rebuilt (that was a POS), it fried again, and this time took a chunk of my elect. devices out with it. My spedometer is one - my mechanic told me I need a new cable for that - something like $300 for that job. It works occasionally, I think when it gets hot enough for the connection to kick in, my speed is read accurately. Otherwise it flies from 20 to MAX *****-nilly. Not a big deal in my opinion, since I can gauge my speed based on what gear I'm in and my RPM. Anywho, the fired wire bundle is probably not just a problem that ends with my spedometer and check engine light, so I guess the O2 sensors may be included in that mess. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have my mechanic take a look at it with this new info in the light.