Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Required Tools for the Home Mechanic & why shops have the advantage

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Default Required Tools for the Home Mechanic & why shops have the advantage

Most people starting out don't realize the disadvantages you are facing when trying to work on your car yourself, be it for performance tweaking, tune-ups & necessary maintenance or full engine overhauls.

Shops have lifts or walkins that make it sooo much easier to access the undercarriage of a vehicle which in turn makes it much more convenient to work on a car. But since you likely don't have a lift in your garage, you're already at a disadvantage.

Next disadvantage for the home mechanic is that you likely do not have a stockpile of tools because you'll only buy them when you absolutely need to.

Below is a general write up from the Haynes manual of necessary tools. It is not perfect, & I've highlighted tools in red that I've found particularly useful/mandatory.

MAINTENANCE & MINOR REPAIR TOOL KIT::
The tools in this list should be considered the minimum required for performance of routine maintenance,

servicing & minor repair work. Combination wrenches(box-end & open end) are recommended.
- Combination wrench set (1/4 inch to 1 inch or 6mm to 19 mm)
- Adjustable wrench , 8 inch
- Spark plug wrench with rubber insert
- spark plug gap adjusting tool

- feeler gauge set
- brake bleeder wrench
- standard screwdriver(5/16-inch x 6 inch)
- phillips scredriver (No. 2 x 6 inch)
- combination pliers - 6 inch

- Hacksaw and assortment of blades
- Tire pressure gauge
- Grease gun
- oil can
- fine emery cloth
- wire brush
- battery post and cable cleaning tool
- oil filter wrench
- funnel (medium size)
- safety goggles (you don't want **** in your eyes do you)
- jackstands x 2
- drain pan
Note: if basic tune-ups are going to be part of routine maintenance, it will be ecessary to purchase a good quality stroboscopic timing light and combination tachometer/dwell meter. Although these are included in the next list, it is mentioned here because they are essential for tuning most vehicles
properly.

Repair Tool set::
These tool are essential for anyone who plans to perform major repairs and are in addtion to those mentioned in the previous tool kit.
Socket set(s)
- Reversible ratchet
- extension - 10 inch

- universal joint
- torque wrench
- breaker bar

- ball peen hammer
- soft face hammer
- pliers - vise grip, lineman's, needlenose & snap-ring
- cold chisel
- scribe
- scraper
- centerpunch
- pin punches
- steel rule/straightedge
- allen wrench set

- selection of files(you know, the kind you use to scrap with)

Special & Overhaul Tool Set::
The tools in this list include those which are not used regularly but can be expensive to buy. Unless these tools will be used regularly it may not be economical to buy many of them. You can rent many of these tools from a tool shop if necessary. This list primarily contains tools and instruments widely available to the public and not special tools produced by Honda for distribution to dealer service departments.
- Valve spring compressor
- Piston ring groove cleaning tool
- Piston Ring Compressor
- Piston Ring installation tool
- Cylinder compression gauge
- Cylinder ridge reamer
- cylinder surfacing hone
- cylinder bore gauge
- micrometers & dial calipers
- Hydraulic lift removal tool
- balljoint seperator
- Universal-type puller
- impact screwdriver
- Dial indicator set
- Stroboscopic timing light
- hand operated vacuum pump
- tachometer/dwell meter
- universal electrical multimeter
- cable host
- brake spring removal & installation tool
- floor jack
-OBD1/2 reader (so you can diagnose those CEL codes)

Knowledge is power, the more you know about your vehicle the better off you'll be. I Highly recommend you use the Factory Service Manuals if you can find them for your ride.

Please comment if you think we're missing anything essential.

Best of luck.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 PM
HCF Member

I just brought my 92 Civic about 4 months ago which was a lemon & with it the Haynes book. I have NEVER worked on any car in my life(except to replace a battery & add fluids to it).
So after getting the Lemon & getting ripped off by Precision Auto Care with a $1400 Rack & Pinion bill...I decided it would be MUCH cheaper to work on my car myself. I started out with the basic 80-piece tool kit(about $40) to change my timing belt, later got a breaker bar with 18-inch extension & a few other tools here & there for a tune-up...so far I've done everything as far as a Major tune up. If you got a friend that's a mechanic..then you can use his/her tools.

If you wanna learn how to do certain things to your Civic(replacements, upgrades, etc)..I suggest you get the Haynes Manual or DL the Honda repair Manual(forgot the link) online & buy a tool set(at least 60 piece), learn the ropes of YOUR ENGINE first.

Know how it work & what controls what & where everything is...You can open components up to check out the condition & see what it looks like BUT DO NOT ADJUST ANYTHING till you feel something is wrong with the car. Don't go crazy trying to be hardcore with the tools....Learning takes time.

Overall: Start with the small stuff..if you need a tool to fix something..just get that one tool & fix it..no need to get a whole cabinet of tools to empty your pockets.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
HCF Member
Default haynes manual

Oh no not a haynes! They are ok for a starter course, I guess, but look into the real deal, the honda manual, I got the pdf from the hondahookup manuals page, covers 92-95 civics.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I got both Haynes(the book) and the honda repair manual(PDF)...when comparing the 2 the Honda manual is better, more detailed & shows diagrams of every part, screw, nut, bolt & the way it suppose to come apart/together.
Haynes just tells you in words & shows you a B&W picture which you have to guess what part it is half the time you're looking at.