Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Reset Timing

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM
Default Reset Timing

Went to the mechanic and he told me that my timing is off and need to be reset. It could still drive but it back fired and always felt like it was gonna die. Last night i tried to start it and it wouldnt turn over. It was getting spark and everything. I tried it again and it made this weird sound and then somke started coming out the engine. Not alot just a alittle. So I was wondering how hard it is to reset the timeing on my Si?
I could just pay the mech the $420 to fix it but i want to do it myself if i can.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Reset Timing

well you dont... absolutely dont want to drive it with the timing off. BAD idea. You could mess up more than whats already done messed.
First off if you havent done a timing belt.. odds are you better do a TON of research. I did my own for the first time and it took 2 days. Thats after about a week of researching and talking to people. All im saying is that it can be done by yourself... i know i wouldnt pay that kind of money! Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 PM

I dont mind doin the research but i dont thing i have all the tools need. I got one of the 24 pice tool sets.
I am hoping that is not something more thats wrong with it cause i didnt like that smoke. I was planing on upgrading the internals anyway i might just have to do it sooner if something more than the timing is wrong. I live in Gainesville, Florida do you kno of any good place to take it to do engine work?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
HCF Member

Buy a timing gun from your autostore (I seen them as cheap as 20 dollars) and used it to correct your timing by adjusting your distributor. (Check the DIY on here on how to adjust it)

When I change my timing belt for the first time, it only took me about a day. You don't need that many tools, mostly just a ratchet and a big pipe to take that crank pulley bolt off.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:15 PM

Ok i been reading up on it on the site. Does the car have to be runnig for me to do it or just turn the key to the on position? Cause the timing is so off it wont start and i need a new battry[&:]. It seems pretty simple to reset the timing then abd i dont see why they would have me pay $420 for it!!! O and by the way wats a "Dizzy"?

Thanks for the help keep it coming.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't turn the engine under power until you're sure the timing belt is OK. Take the timing belt cover off and turn the engine by hand to see if the timing marks line up. If not, you need to replace the timing belt before going any further because it has slipped, and it will slip again possibly ruining your engine that time. You were probably quoted $420 for a timing belt job.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

the dizzy is your distributor