Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by Lewy2k
Compression test reads 180-185 across all four cylinders but on the cylinder that had the foul when running bad shoots oil out the plug tube! what does this mean if the compression is good?
that seems to me really high compression what motor do you have
if there is oil in your spark plug tubes than the gaskets that go around the spark tubes is bad this comes in a valve cover gasket kit.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM
HCF Member

I had the valve cover gasket replaced when i did my timing belt but not those. I looked and it is supposed to be around 180 on all cylinders for my d15b7. But does oil in the tubes cause the motor to overheat? or run bad?

Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 AM
HCF Member

So everything sort of points to a bad head gasket. Runs bad and produces white smoke when restarted after reaching temp, has overheated twice when it is at idle for a long period of time, once while driving, shoots oil out the plug tube farthest from the distributor when compression testing the other cylinders.

But it says the compression is good, so I cant really say what it is.
I might try tube seals but i really dont think this would cause all that to happen.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Chubby Chaser

I had the valve cover gasket replaced when i did my timing belt but not those. I looked and it is supposed to be around 180 on all cylinders for my d15b7. But does oil in the tubes cause the motor to overheat? or run bad?
idk about overheating but does make spark plugs misfire.

your compression seems to be really good
have you tried to take out the thermostat and drive it?
have you tried a system flush? maybe a clogged radiator?
have you replace radiator cap?

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 08-02-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:40 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
idk about overheating but does make spark plugs misfire.

your compression seems to be really good
have you tried to take out the thermostat and drive it?
have you tried a system flush? maybe a clogged radiator?
have you replace radiator cap?
When I bought the car it didnt run at the correct temperature because it had no thermostat so i bought one and it worked great.
The system was flushed when the timing belt was done not too long ago but i might do it again and i havent changed the radiator cap.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Chubby Chaser

without a thermostat the car should run pretty cool.. it will have a constant flow of coolant
its worth a try.. new parts can be bad

Old 08-02-2009, 07:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

So everything sort of points to a bad head gasket. Runs bad and produces white smoke when restarted after reaching temp, has overheated twice when it is at idle for a long period of time, once while driving, shoots oil out the plug tube farthest from the distributor when compression testing the other cylinders.

But it says the compression is good, so I cant really say what it is.
I might try tube seals but i really dont think this would cause all that to happen.
I agree that it sounds like the head gasket is blown. It think you should try a cylinder leak down test (click Compression link in my signature).

Old 08-02-2009, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

you also have to think about why the car didn't have the thermostat in it when you bought it......did the previous owner overheat it a few times with a bad thermostat and just did a quick fix and took it out.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:16 AM
HCF Member

Should i try the tube seals and a system flush? I really dont know because I have noticed the white smoke and other things that point to the head gasket.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Still sound like a headgasket problem. Removing the thermostat from an engine was an old mechanic's trick on cast iron engines. All engine has to warm up to temp to run correctly.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle