Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:08 PM
HCF Member
Default Rough Idle

After I drive a while, shut my car off and then proceed to start it soon after it starts up with a really rough idle and you can smell a sweet gas smell from the exhaust. It isnt really causing any problems and it goes away once i start driving but I'm sure there is a reason why. A while back I fixed my idle surge by readjusting the FITV valve, but that was months ago. Any ideas?

Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sweet smell might mean coolant is burning in the cylinder. Is there white smoke in the exhaust? You might want to inspect the spark plugs for fouling.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:45 PM
HCF Member

i havent drove it again to see if it smokes and does that mean bad plugs when they foul? they are fairly new.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

No smoke and it only idles that way when it is at temperature then shut off and then started 10-30 min later. It lasts about 20-30 seconds. thats it

Old 07-27-2009, 01:11 AM

tps sensor, mine was doin that replaced and it fixed it

Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 AM
HCF Member

yeah last night it did the same thing and when i started driving it sputtered a little like it wasnt getting enough gas and then starting driving okay. It lasts like half a minute. So your car did the same thing??

Old 07-27-2009, 04:29 PM
gwl
HCF Member

When I had a very slight headgasket leak, I would get some rough idle when I first start the motor. Overnight some coolant would leak in the combustion chamber and it would feel like it was missing at start up.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i checked my plugs and they are good but i dont think they would be the problem if it only does it then. I have noticed that i live in a naturaly cool place and we are having close to record high temperatures right now... and this has only happened since then. A friend said that it seems like the fuel is getting so hot that it is causing vapor lock when i start the motor soon after i shut it off at running temperature. I'm just gonna see how things go and see if it gets worse

Old 07-31-2009, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

Much cooler outside today and I shut my car off after it was at temp and started it after five minutes and it was still idling horribly. So i drove it and had a friend follow and it was accellerating very poorly almost like bogging down from lack of fuel and it slowly cleared up and went back to normal. My friend noticed it is black bad smelling smoke coming from the exhaust when this happens. Could this be the TPS? or something else?

Old 07-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Is the CEL on? Are any codes set?

You should drive a little while it is acting up then stop and let it cool and remove the spark plugs. If one plug is real black, the problem is tied to that cylinder. If you keep going after it starts running OK, the plugs will clean themselves off and you won't see anything.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle