Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Runs fine when cold, dies when warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Default Runs fine when cold, dies when warm

I have a 91, Honda, civic 1.5, 5 speed that's been giving me alot of trouble ever since I’ve gotten it, but this one i can't figure out.

A while back I was on my way to work when suddenly the engine just dies out of nowhere and it was cold outside so I let my car warm up before I left. A long story short we towed it back home took off the distributor cap and found that the rotor's screw was loose we replaced it. Again it seemed to work fine, then the next day I was driving around town and when I pushed down the accelerator it almost seemed as if nothing happened and the engine kinda seemed to be jerking and didn't want to excel. Fortunately I made it back to my work where I could take a look at it, nothing that I could see could cause this. Optimistic, I tried to make it home in which case I failed.

So, I called one of my friend’s dad who is a diesel mechanic teacher at the NWTC college in town and we towed it over there to look at it in the morning. The next morning when i showed up they said that it started up like a champ and were out driving around when it suddenly died the engine cranked and would start back up again after a little coaxing butt ran very rough and soon sputtered out.

Back at the collage we replace the fuel pump after being satisfied with the distributor, (because a few months before I had replace the igniter and the coil) we replace the fuel filter. Same thing. The car ran very rough. Eventually however it just started up and ran fine and after driving around the block they said they didn't know what it was.

On my way home going about 45 mph it died I had spark plug wires and spark plugs to replace so we towed it home and I changed those out. Same story. Eventually we replaced the entire distributor, which still did nothing. The fuel pump works and we know fuel is making it to the dual fuel injection system. Also the main/fuel relay which controls the fuel pump was just recently (less than 2 months) replaced.

After we replaced and timed the distributor and the same thing happened we decided to go, what controls the fuel and after searching on line I found someone with a similar problem that was suggested they replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor, naturally, I replaced it.

The latest thing I just replaced was the fuel regular next to the PGM-FI dual fuel injection system. That didn’t work either.

Any help?

Mark

Old 03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Runs fine when cold, dies when warm

Have you replaced the fuel filter? It's possibly clogged.

Is the CEL ON? If so, check the code blinking from the ECU LED.

Other possible causes are a faulty MAP sensor or EACV, or an intake air or vacuum leak. The former two, however, should typically throw a CEL code.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:55 AM

sorry, what we replaced was the fuel filter, the fuel pump runs fine.

Ichecked the code blinking from the ECU LED under the carpet on the passenger side and it only blinked once when i turned on the car.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:18 PM

any how i figured out the problem and my car got a great tune up..... it turned out to be that the rotor cap inside the distributer had a burn mark inside it. So when i started the car there was enough fuel to start it, however as the cars fuel ratio leaned out the because the rotor wasn's firing all the cylinders the car died. Anyhow that's our theory, im just glad it's fixed.