Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

rust repair from a shop

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
HCF Member
Default rust repair from a shop

I have a 93 del sol and it is rusted on both quarter panels, but one is really bad and one is not so bad. One of the previous owners tried to repair it with bondo or something, and it has failed. The rust is coming through and now the paint is chipping over the bondo.

I know whats involved in repairing this but I do not have the skills or tools to do such a job. I dont want to use any kind of filler, I want to cut and weld on new quarter panel sections so that the rust is repaired. So my question is how much do you think a shop would charge me for the work minus the painting? Does anyone have experience with a shop repairing rust? I realize its kind of hard to estimate unless you have seen the rust, but I just want some figures.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

dont know much about the action gonna come your way. but i myself would be worried about getting professional work done. ive seen more than one car, 6 months after a body job, and seeing rust forming. if its just a couple of spots, maybe a good idea. but you never know if there are more, just waiting to show their ugly faces. i hate rust with a passion

Old 10-29-2008, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

Its not major, just a bit over the wheels. On one side, it is the size of a quarter, and thats not what im worried about. The other side is larger and I want to take care of that.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

ya ive too, got a quarter sized bubble, on my drivers-side quarter right above the wheel-well. that will be the toughest to fix. a bit more on both front fenders, and the hood is shot from stone chips. however, ive always wanted to try my hand at a bit of body work and a full paint-job.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 AM
HCF Member

i dont even want to try body work myself, i want everything done professionally. thats why I posted this thread, to see some ballpark prices that i can expect to pay. More than $1000 for one quarter panel and paint? Less? etc... thats kinda what im looking for.

Seriously rust is like the worst thing ever. My car would be in perfect shape if not for the rust. It looks decent in pictures because of the bondo covering it, but up close you can tell someone did a crappy job with it. I just want them taken care of because it drives me crazy!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

I think your best bet is to get a quote from a decent shop since I don't think anyone here is a professional at body work.