Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Seafoam Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:45 AM
Default Seafoam Treatment

Uncertain if this is the area to ask. Forgive me if it isn't.

I've stumbled on some videos of Seafoam engine cleaner, the type where you spray into the throttle body and causes a crapload of smoke for awhile. The results were favorable. It was mainly used on older car and it's supposed to break down carbon buildup. Thus, I thought, what if I did that every so many miles to help eliminate or halt the carbon buildup process. I recently past 50,000 miles and plan to do some spring maintenance (filters and fluids). I thought it would be a good idea now and then maybe at 100,000 miles and so on.

Anyone use Seafoam and/or recommend this strategy?

Thanks

Last edited by Meanie; 04-02-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 AM

I’ve used it for bad gas or as just a general cleaning method for fuel system but as far as throttle body goes, I’ve only done it once on my moms Ford Expedition. It didn’t take to it to well, actually caused it to run really rough and didn’t do what I was intending or as what they advertise it does. But it is still your decision on whether to use it or not. That was just my experience.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by mhammond1127
I’ve used it for bad gas or as just a general cleaning method for fuel system but as far as throttle body goes, I’ve only done it once on my moms Ford Expedition. It didn’t take to it to well, actually caused it to run really rough and didn’t do what I was intending or as what they advertise it does. But it is still your decision on whether to use it or not. That was just my experience.
Those are my uses for it as well. I use it yearly for storage of my seasonal engines and never had a problem, though, oddly, never used it in my car's fuel system. Then I saw the vid and thought, hmmm.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Meanie
Those are my uses for it as well. I use it yearly for storage of my seasonal engines and never had a problem, though, oddly, never used it in my car's fuel system. Then I saw the vid and thought, hmmm.
I mean you can try it, just have some money on the side in case you have to replace the throttle body, I mean that’s worse case scenario

Old 04-08-2018, 03:53 PM
HCF Member

Find out, first, if the Seafoam is compatible with your throttle body and all of the sensors, like the map and maf sensors. I know there are certain carb cleaners that will eat up those things as quickly as you spray them. You could cause yourself a sh*tload of problems if it's not for that type of use.
Duane