Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Security System woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Default Security System woes

I recently bought a 95 Civic. The owner mentioned that it had a third party Security System that occasionally caused a lockup while starting so he had disabled it by cutting the wires.

Ive had this car for 3 months now and yesterday I happened to leave my lights on which drained the battery. It didnt jumpstart and I changed the battery since it was very old. But this did not solve the problem. The car refuses to crank and makes no sound upon turning the key. The lights come on and the new battery works great. I have a feeling that the security system has caused this lockup.

Ive had similar problems in the past when I believed that the system locked up on me but it seemed to reset after about 15 minutes.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I have the original keys and am in a position to re-enable the security system though it has not helped so far. BTW, I am a newbie so Ill probably take it to a mechanic but since I don't trust the ones around me (they suck) I was hoping to get some direction to act upon.

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2006, 07:25 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Security System woes

any idea what brand system it might be? is there a sticker under the hood? can you get a pic of the engine bay?

There SHOULD be an override switch somewhere under the dash, like a little tiny button. If you can find that, hold it down while starting the car. I hope that's not the wire that was cut [:@] try looking around for the switch and get back to us

Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 PM

I will do so tommorow and post. Thanks a bunch mxs!

Old 02-07-2006, 08:52 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

Good luck!
I managed to remove the security system after a week. It was a conventional off the shelf, simple system and was under the steering wheel. Took me a little while figuring out which wires were to be refitted but that was it.