Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sever Sluggish,bogging and jumpy acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 AM
HCF Member

Will do that today!Is there a way I can test the Igniter? Multimeter? I repair electronics on radars some familiar with multimeters.I did use a torch to get the old rotor off cause the medal part was rusted on bad but I blocked the wires and componets with sheet metal, maybe I heated it up too much... I will post status later when I get home, Im at work, working very hard! Or hardley working...haha

Last edited by Young Blood; 08-17-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

OK..big problem, I put new igniter in and car would not start, turned overn and almost started but didnt. I double and triple checked connected wires. The when I used a 19mm to rotate the pully to turn the cam shaft so I could get to the rotor screw I noticed that the cam wasnt turning when i turned the pully anymore. So i slightley turned the cam the opposite way and the i felt it release and it started turning again when i turned the pully??? Is there something wrong with cam?? I measured correct voltages at all points on the igniter. I pulled distributor and now im on my way to get new one......OMG this is getting tiring

also i noticed a cracked wire on the igniter.

Last edited by Young Blood; 08-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You should be fine. Only turn the crank counterclockwise. Turning the other direction will loosen the timing belt. Just re-rotate in the correct direction and verify the mechanical timing.

Replacing the distributor is probably a good idea at this point.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

Ok, if im standing at front bumper, looking down at the pully am I pulling towards me to rotate or pushing away. I had a "self proclaimed" Honda tech tell me to push away to rotate.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Standing on the left side of the car facing the driver's wheel, you only turn the crank pulley counterclockwise.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
HCF Member

so do you think that caused my timing belt to be off-and it be the root cause of all of this? because I have turned it in the wrong direction several times.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Young Blood
so do you think that caused my timing belt to be off-and it be the root cause of all of this? because I have turned it in the wrong direction several times.
Not necessarily. Just turn the crank 5 or so revolutions and then verify that the cam and crank are still perfectly synchronized at TDC1. If so, all should be good.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

should I do that before I put the new distributor on or wait until after I put it on-I already took it off.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Young Blood
should I do that before I put the new distributor on or wait until after I put it on-I already took it off.
Before or after, whichever is most convenient.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

i read a note in the haynes manual that said do not move the cam shaft once the distributor is removed-just wanted to make sure.

Quick Reply: Sever Sluggish,bogging and jumpy acceleration