Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

So i got the GSR to start but

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
HCF Member
Default So i got the GSR to start but

Well today i finally got it to start but the idle its a little rough and it overheats , the radiator fan isnt comming on at all plus thie head doesnt have a valve so i can bleed the coolant and it has no vtec oil pressure plug which is weird but i replaced the solenoid with the old gsr that i had ant its fine now , only thing that worries me is that it has no bleeding valve for the coolant why's that?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: So i got the GSR to start but

how much have you spent in total so far for the gsr swap,if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question[&:]

Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you don't have a bleed valve take the radiator cap off with the engine cold and fill the radiator up all the way. Then start the engine, set the heater on high, and continue to watch the level in the radiator and add more coolant solution as necessary. As the engine starts to warm up, the coolant will start to overflow the radiator. At this point put the cap back on and leave it, should be pretty much free of air now. Make sure there is coolant in the reservoir bottle.

Check the fan circuit by unplugging the fan thermoswitch on the thermostat housing. Jumper between the two pins in the plug and the fan should now run whenever the key is on. With the fan inoperable and the engine about to overheat (don't actually let it overheat), the lower radiator hose should be hot to the touch. If it is and the wiring check passed, replace the thermoswitch. If the lower hose does not get hot the thermostat may be stuck closed or there is a blockage in the radiator.

Edit: Or you could just leave the jumper on so the fan runs all the time, if it still overheats there is a different problem than jus tthe fan not starting.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

i did use the jumper and it doesnt overheat at all , just like before. only thing left to do is figure whats wrong maybe a bad thermostat? or maybe the plugs arnt connected right? and BTW live 4it this is my secong GSR swap and this one was a little cheapr that the first one but i spet roughly about $3,500 engine was 2,600 plus 600 for shipping to PR i know isane but hey well eorth it for a jdm GSR

Old 01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well for the bleeder you can always kinda get around it by jacking the front end up as high as you can and leting it run like that when filling it up. just a thought for ya....

but a thermostat is cheap! and when replacing it BE SURE that bleeder valve on it is UP or that COULD cause it to overheat...

Old 01-28-2008, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

well this engine dosent have a bleeder valve but i fixed the idle problem now the only thing keeping me from driving it is the lower tranny mount which is broken , the one that connects near the AC compressor and the driver side mount , i need to replace them along with timing belt , water pump , tensioner and paint the valve cover wrinkled red and a passwordjdm carbon fiber intake

Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

here are some pics of how it looks now , i just got some oem headlights and password jdm fogs to replace the crappy ebay ones ihad before( fogs arent installed yet cause im getting the front bumper & lip repainted plus the SI wing is gonna get painted and installed too)

heres the engine the day i got it

in case ur wondering what those blue wires are , i just used them to test if the fan was working lol anyways i'll take some better pics once i get everything installed and re painted

Old 01-29-2008, 04:54 AM

ghetto looking wiring haha, i just picked up an oem type R header and two hasport mounts, i recommend hasports mounts, or cheaper budget energy suspension motor mount inserts

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 AM
HCF Member

Looking good, that sucker looks clean under the hood now.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Looks good. If you can jumper at the thermo switch plug (and nowhere else) and the fan comes on, and with the fan on it doesn't overheat, that means that the thermo switch itself is bad. I think they're all the same so you could take the one off of your stock engine if you still have it.

Quick Reply: So i got the GSR to start but