Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

So i got the GSR to start but

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: So i got the GSR to start but

and exactly where is this thermo switch? from what i've been told is that the radiator fan plug is not getting any power but the fuses are all good and the relay is good also it just doesnt come on and also im still having some idle problems , it idles fine around 850 rpm but whenever i press the gas pedal , after the rmps drop down to idle the jump between 850 and 1300 more or less if i turn on the car it idles fine but if i press the gas it the rpms start to jump i replaced the TPS and still have this prob , what can it be?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

ok so the fan came on what i did was switch the relay but i still have the iddle problem , it goes back and forth between 900 to 1400 rmps and i it idlesrather high almost at 1k. i recplaces the TPS checked the plugs and they seem to be fine, i ran out of ideas

Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

will the sparatic idle go away after some time or constantly do it? JW

Old 01-29-2008, 02:49 PM
HCF Member

it always idles like that , i was doing some research and came up with some possible solutions , dirty fuel injectors? low coolant level or air in the coolant , dirty throttle body , dirty IAC ( how can i clean it) ?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

Try bleeding the cooling system first, since that's the easiest. There should be a little bolt on top of the thermostat housing, or in the general area where the top rad hose connects to the engine. Just loosen it off after you start up the engine and let the coolant come out until no more bubbles come out with it, should only take a few secs. Don't do this while the engine is hot, since hot coolant will spray everywhere if you do.

If that doesn't help, try spraying some TB cleaner into the TB while its running, and rev the engine a few times while you're doing it to help loosen any gunk that's hampering its movement. You can also try the fabled seafoam engine treatment in the vacuum hose connected to the TB. There's a DIY on using seafoam in here somewhere.

*Edit* Just re-read your first post and noticed that you don't have a bleed bolt. In that case, jack up the front of the car as high as you can, or park it on a steep hill/driveway and remove the rad cap. Be sure the engine is cold first, then add coolant to the rad while the engine is running until it stops bubbling. As the engine warms up, the coolant will begin to overflow, so put the cap back on before that happens.