Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer Cable Mount Broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Default Speedometer Cable Mount Broken

I have an issue with my DX cable transmission. I am doing a manual swap and the trans that I have has a damaged speedometer mount and the cable seems to be stuck in it. How do I fix it or can I even fix it? I'm thinking of pulling the case apart and seeing if I can push it out from inside, that's the only thing I can think of. Or maybe this part can be replaced, not sure if it even comes out.

I will try to post a picture soon but the whole tube that the clip sits in to hold it in place is gone and the end of the cable is stuck in there! I tried to see if it could be removed by using a chisel but it only broke the aluminum, or looks like it may come out with some heat because its pretty dirty and doesn't budge.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like you need a new part (#7) from this diagram:
Honda Automotive Parts

I assume that you have of course removed the bolt (16) and clamp (8). Then it should just pull out-- straight out. If it's stuck, would be easier to force out from the inside. Cracking the transmission open(*) is no big deal, but be very careful not to get dirt inside.

* There is a trick to it though, after removing all the bolts that hold the case halves together, you will find they only can separate by about 1/4 inch. You need to release the output shaft bearing to get it all the way apart. Unscrew the plug in the end opposite the engine, with the square hole in it. Inside there, there is a slot with the ends of a snap ring. Spread the ends apart to open the ring. Then you can lift the case off.

Last edited by mk378; 05-10-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Yeah, that looks to be the part. I just wanted to make sure it was removable. It's stuck pretty good after 20+ years so my best bet it getting to it from the inside of the case. Thanks a lot!