Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer clip

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 01:34 PM
Default Speedometer clip

Hello all,

My brother and I replaced the clutch on his 1991 civic this weekend, and at the very end we were both a little stumped on re-attaching the speedo cable at the transaxle. The cylinder that the cable goes into has a slit on one side, but we could not figure how to use the clip in conjunction with the one slit. We ended up puting the clip around the cylinder which allowed one side of the clip to fall into the slit and keep the cable from coming out but it did not seem to hold it very well. The boot does not seem to go over it very well in this position either.

Not sure if we distorted the clip on removal, and for the life of us we cannot remember what position it was in when we removed it.

Any help would be great. Other than that the clutch is great now, and we did the drive axles as well because the CV joints were done. The biggest issue was breaking all of the balljoints free that had to be removed without destroying the studs or the boots.

Anyway, thanks in advance....

Old 02-28-2005, 08:34 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Speedometer clip

havent done a cable speedo in a long time, so i cant help you with that, but next time get a "pickle fork" or a ball joint separator. you just pound it into the ball joints and it pops the ball joint free. you can even get an attachment for an air chisel. they would make short work of those pesky things.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:34 AM

Actually we ended up using a pickle fork for most of them, however the pressure of the fork tended to tear the rubber seal of the ball joint most of the times just due to the pressure of the fork against them. The first one tore quite bad so we tried putting grease on the fork and that helped reduce the tearing, though they did still tear a little bit. Some of them were on extremely tight!!

Old 03-01-2005, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

MOST of them are extremely tight.[:@]

Old 03-02-2005, 02:31 PM

Oh yeah, you know it. The LCA balljoints took a pickle fork AND a 20lb. sledgehammer.

Anyway, I am surprised no one has done the speedo-clip lately as it has to come off if the transaxle or engine needs to come out. [sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 PM
HCF Member

i broke my hand hitting it with a 24oz ballpeen trying to break those suckers loose. actually, i broke it the second time that i hit it that night. then i hit it two more times that night, then dropped the starter on it. its been like 3 months, and its still swollen. (barely)