Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Speedometer needle not working & adding on mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Default Speedometer needle not working & adding on mileage

My speedometer needle suddenly stops working and my mileage gauge to racking up the mileage at least 10 times more than usual. When the car is not moving the mileage gauge moves because of engine vibration and when the car is moving the guage is at least 10 to 20 miles more than usual. Could I have blown a fuse or is the VSS not working? Someone please help me? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Speedometer needle not working & adding on mileage

I HAD A SIMILER PROBLEM BUT MY MILAGE DIDNT GO UP THE NEEDLE SUDDENLY STOPED WORKING OR WAS ALWAYS AT LIKE40MPH. I BID ON A SPEED SENSOR ON EBAY AND I DIDNT WIN BUT THE GUY THAT WAS SELLING IT ON EBAY EMAILED ME AND ASKED IF I HAD THE PROBLEMS I DID AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS JUST THE GAUGE ITSELF. I WENT TO THE JUNKYARD AND TOOK JUST THE GAUGE LIKE 5 BUCKS OR SOMTHING. PUT IT IN AND ITS WORKED GREAT EVER SINCE. I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE BUT I GUESS IT HAPPENS ALOT TO 92-95 CIVICS.

I DONT KNOW IF THIS HELP BUT I HOPE SO

P.S. SINCE THE MILAGE GAUGE IS GOING UP YOU MIGHT NEED A SPEED SENSOR (NOT SURE IF THATS WHAT ITS CALLED EXACTLY) BUT IT PLUGS INTO YOUR TRANNY AND IS WHAT SENDS THE SIGNAL TO YOUR DASH

Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Speedometer needle not working & adding on mileage

i replaced my speedo last year, because i had this problem, as of yesterday my check engine light is on and nothing on the speedo works, needle or the odometer.

I'm going to check the code off my check engine light and post back.

your scenario might be both.