Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

sputtering after dist. install

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Default sputtering after dist. install

i mentioned an earlier problem on this board with my 91 hatch not firing. so i got my hands on a distributor unit and a manual and installed the part myself. i'm happy to say that the car now starts but she sputters pretty bad on acceleration. so much so that its not really driveable. i'm assuming the ignition timing must be off. but i was wondering if it could be another problem. may as well mention that my motors in pretty bad shape and theres oil all in my spark plugs. i assume this could also cause my problem. insight, anyone?

Old 11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: sputtering after dist. install

There might be oil leaking through the valve stem seals or the piston rings, but i believe that the oil would end up burning, not staying on the plug, unless the cylinder wasn't firing. So do a cylinder balance test to see if a cylinder isn't firing. (run the engine, pull fuel injectors or plug wires and see if a cylinder doesn't cause the RPM to drop)

Old 11-06-2005, 12:41 PM

yea i spose i should ave mentioned that yea my rings are gone. i basically jus want to get this car driveable temporarily till i get a new engine. anyway i did what u said about pulling spark plugs and it seems all cylinders are firing. to desribe the problem more, when i drive the car, it misses a lot in first gear, then i shift to second and it wont start missing until it hits a certain rev (not sure what rpm since i dont have a tach), then i shift to third and again it works till i hit about 80 km/h or so then starts missing again, then i hit 4th and i get a little more out of it and so on. when it starts missing the whole car like shakes back and forth pretty bad.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 PM

If the engione is out of time you would not have this problem. If the engine is out of time it would hesitate to start. If did not do this problem before you installed the new it could be one or several of the se following problems.
1The cap could be cracked. Take the distributor off and look at the inside of the cap. do you see any water or oil buildup. Are there carbon lines. this could be it.
2 Check the rotor button. its the little thing that spins. it could be loose.
3 The engine could be out time but not likely.
$ but furtherly and most importantly
It is probably out of firing order. You need to go to autozone.com and look for their online manuals and get the firing order off of there. and put the right wires from the cap to the correct cylinder.
I think it is out of firing order.
Is you check engine light on?
If it is then you need to
go to the kickpanel on the passenger side of the car. pull down the two prong wire from the kickpanel. Take a paper clip on one hole and stick the other end in the other hole.
You will then need to watch the check engine light. but before you do that go to this website and look at the chart of how to read it and how to define the light sequence. This will tell you what the problem is. If it reads a misfie then you have it out of firing order. then you can check the right order and it will definately fix your problem
Really long but here are the best options i can give you.

Old 11-07-2005, 11:41 PM

Sorry here's the website
remember'
(CEL)= Check engine light
http://www.c-speedracing.com/faq/06.php

Old 11-08-2005, 09:12 AM

thanks man. very helpful.

yea the cap is brand new so i dont htink it's that
the car does sometimes hesitate to start but not always.
and my engine light is always on and has been since this engine went in the car (the heat guage doesn't work)
i'll do what u said tho and post results.

eta: checked firing order with that on autozone and its right. will do engine light check after school.

Edit #2. fixed it lol. one of the wires going into one of the plugs for the distributor was loose. re stripped it stuck it in good and car is perfect. (aside from all the blue smoke)

moderaters u can delete this thread now.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:40 PM

Ahh yes the the infamous Blue smoke. Your rings are cracked and the oil is leaking into the pistonstherefore it causing it to burn up in the engine and be emitted through the exhaust