Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Squaring up Top Radiator Support

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Default Squaring up Top Radiator Support

squaring up the top radiator support after a little fender bender. his tail went up my front went down and we hit at about 5 mph. it pushed the top of my radiator support down and back a bit on the passengers side.

been looking at the other threads about similar issues that were a bit worse and they replaced the front support completely.

I'm looking to pull mine back out and square it up. does anyone have any drawings with the measurements and reference points used under the hood by the body shops? Found these measurements for a mustang on another site but haven't found anything similar for the civic.

Looks like there are a ton of symmetrical holes on the top of my support that could be used for reference to the shock towers but not really sure, they seem close?

pic before the front bumper cover was pulled off.

Squaring up Top Radiator Support-black_eye_1.jpg

Old 12-18-2013, 06:58 AM

pretty much done with pulling things out, mounting the new hood and light. This is what i've learned for better or worse.

before pulling on something in my case the radiator support. remove all the mounting hardware to the radiator, ac condencer, headlights, etc as not to damage them while straightening the bent pieces and it will make the pull easier.

when pulling my radiator support out it moved quite a bit (about 3") but wouldn't go that last little bit, it would pull back after i removed the come along, about 1/4". if this happens to you there are a couple of other pieces bent that need to be bent back while the come along has the radiator support in place. in my case it was the support behind the front light that was bent upwards acting like a spring. i had to push it down while pulling forward. this also helped pulling up the front lip of the radiator support that would not stay straightened.

use nylon straps to tie onto the points you're straightening. wrap them around the radiator support in my case a few times to help distribute the load and it wont mark up the metal like one of those slide hammers. use wood between your pry bar and the metal when pushing on different pieces to keep from marking it up.

there are alignment holes on most all mating surfaces from the hood to the hinge, hinge to the body, fender to the body, bumper to the frame etc. they are pretty spot on.

it appears that the left and right side alignment marks are pretty darn symmetrical. i measured from the strut towers studs to the alignment marks to be sure things were pretty close and somewhat square.

the aftermarket replacement hood fit pretty good.

the aftermarket replacement bumper cover fit like a turd. very stiff plastic while the older oem bumpers were more rubbery feeling. comments on other sites say to warm it up or leave it in the sun for a bit to soften it up? i ended up putting on the old one and will refinish it when i paint the hood in the spring.

Last edited by hyco_honda; 12-18-2013 at 07:06 AM.