Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wiring problem for coolant temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Default Wiring problem for coolant temp gauge

I have a 93 civic hatchback with a vtec conversion b16 engine the wiring has been hacked temp gauge doesn't work I ground the sensor wire and the gauge doesn't move I found the yellow green wire for the sensor goes to the engine harness connector and changes to red green and I checked that wire where it goes to the ecu And it's a power wire for the ecu I disconnected the plug from the ecu and did a continuity test between the ecu and temp sensor and it's the right wire I need a electrical diagram for the sensor to the gauge please help

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You're asking this in the wrong section...

The stock D engine has three temperature related sensors as described below. I'm not sure if they are in the same places on a B engine but it should still have basically the same setup.

The sensor for the gauge is not connected to the ECU at all. There is simply a single wire from the sensor to the instrument cluster. The gauge sensor is in the end of the head under the distributor, toward the back of the engine, and has only one pin for the wire to connect to.

The sensor near it toward the front is for the ECU. It has a plastic plug with two wires that go to the ECU. It doesn't drive the gauge at all. Proper operation of this sensor is important to control the idle speed and to detect the engine has warmed up so the ECU will go into "closed loop" for good mpg and low emissions.

Don't confuse either of those sensors in the head with the sensor on the thermostat housing. That one is a switch that starts the radiator fan when the coolant leaving the radiator becomes too hot to cool the engine.

Last edited by mk378; 12-19-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:07 AM

Sorry I'm in the wrong section I have never posted on a forum before thanks for the help my sensor wire goes to the ecu so it's all wrong my harness is all cut and patched together I'm going to change the body and engine harness I don't know what they did the people I got the car from said a shop did the work I should find out the shop name so I could tell people not to go there thanks again