Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

squeak around belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 PM
HCF Member
Default squeak around belt

I had a new timeing belt, and ac belt put on a few months ago. But I'm getting a squeak for around 5 minutes, after I start my car. Then it go's away once it's warmed up.

My guess is that it's the crank pulley but i'm not tottaly sure.If it is the crank pulley,would it just need some grease, or is it starting to go?

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: squeak around belt

i say adjust the a/c belt , most likely thats what it is
never put oil,grease on a belt , it will wreck it

Old 10-16-2007, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

I'm not saying put grease on the belt. I thought I heard that the bolt holding the crank pulley sometimes needs to be regreased.

Are there any other possiblities for the problem? because I just had the belt replaced not too long ago. I doubt that could be the problem.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:34 PM

make sure their all tight

Old 10-17-2007, 03:57 AM

If you have power steering, check that belt. I think the P/S belt needs to be removed to get at the A/C belt. Might as well check the alternator belt too. Push down on the belts and they shouldn't deflect more than 1/4 inch.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:26 PM
HCF Member

Ok, I pushed down on the belt at the top (the easiest one to get to). And it does seem a little loose. Def pushes in 1/4 inch or more.

I read in the Hanes manual that you can adjust the tightness by loosening the idler pulley bolt, then turn the adjusting bolt to loosen or tighten. However this is only on some models. There are other methods for dif models. My cars a 98 civic ex, d16y8 engine. Does this have the idler pulley?

Of course the hanes manual is vague as usual so if anyone knows more information about the belt system on a 6th gen civic, d16y8 engine please help.

My car is now making the squeaking more often, I'm starting to get a little worried. But I want to do this myself.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2007, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

You can follow which drive belt is associated with which part by following it and matching it with a diagram or photo in your Haynes manual. Each part has a solid connection and an adjustable connection so you can tighten and loosen the drive belt. Loosen both the nut/bolt for the solid and the adjustable connection end, apply pressure and hold the part (e.g. alternator), and then tighten the nut/bolts. Check the belt again.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:25 AM

Yeah, there's only one way to tighten each of the belts (and they're all a little different). For the alternator, you loosen the bolts and swingthe alternatorback, then tighten the bolts. For the P/S,you loosenthetwo main bolts, tighten the tension adjusting screw, then tighten the main bolts. For the A/C, loosen the idler pulley, tighten the tension adjusting screw, then tighten the idler pulley.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:32 PM
HCF Member

Thats a very tight space especially for thepower steeringbelt.... I can't even get to the powersteering belt to test it.

Thanks for all the info guys very helpul.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Here is how to tighten the PS belt:

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/EE475D35F36A49C1BFB0ECED0E1F3B40.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: squeak around belt