Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Squeakin' and Creakin' Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Default Squeakin' and Creakin' Clutch

Alright, so i've been noticing this for a while.
When I push the pedal in, there's a creaking noise. If I push the pedal in really slow it still does it, for as long as I am pushing the pedal in. It does not make noise when I hold it in, only while pushing it in. I can only hear it when the car is off, but I suspect the engine is just covering up the noise.

From what I remember reading around here is that it's probably the throw-out bearing. Right?

Which leads me to my next questions:
Is this urgent to replace?
What are the consequences from driving with a throw-out bearing that's going out? The clutch works just fine, just makes that noise.

I really don't have the cash, and just finished paying my dad back for my a/c compressor (I replaced it because I thought it was bad, and I had to replace my alternator belt), so I don't want to have to buy a clutch kit right away. Also, I really don't want to have to drop the tranny. lol.

This is normally replaced along with the clutch plate and clutch disc, and some other bearing that I can't remember the name of, right?

Are the EXEDY clutch kits on ebay legit?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

its not your throw-out bearing.
The throw-out bearing shouldn't really be making a creaking noise.... that is more likely linkage or the pressure plate or something... not sure on that..
The throw-out bearing also would not make any noise at all when the car is off since the engine isn't spinning.
And yes, the throw-out bearing is typically replaced with a clutch kit.

If your throw-out bearing goes, it will make a grinding/clattering noise with the engine running the the clutch pedal depressed, even a little (but no noise when the clutch is fully released).

My clutch makes a slight creaking noise when I depress and release the clutch, but I'm quite certain that its just linkage... possibly where the slave cylinder contacts the clutch release arm (think thats what its called) or where the arm contact the throw-out bearing. If its just a creaking noise and not grinding, I wouldn't worry about it as it isn't hurting anything.... but if it really bothers you put some heavy grease where the slave cylinder contacts the arm... this is also something that should have been done when the clutch was replaced.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I have exactly the same annoying creaking noise when I press the clutch on my 97 DX. The noise seems to be coming from around the slave cylinder. I am thinking that the solution is more simple than a bad throw out bearing. When I get the chance, I will try applying grease at the end of the slave cylinder that contacts the release fork:

Name:  picture_1338.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  39.7 KB

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by rcherr642z
its not your throw-out bearing.
The throw-out bearing shouldn't really be making a creaking noise.... that is more likely linkage or the pressure plate or something... not sure on that..
The throw-out bearing also would not make any noise at all when the car is off since the engine isn't spinning.
And yes, the throw-out bearing is typically replaced with a clutch kit.

If your throw-out bearing goes, it will make a grinding/clattering noise with the engine running the the clutch pedal depressed, even a little (but no noise when the clutch is fully released).

My clutch makes a slight creaking noise when I depress and release the clutch, but I'm quite certain that its just linkage... possibly where the slave cylinder contacts the clutch release arm (think thats what its called) or where the arm contact the throw-out bearing. If its just a creaking noise and not grinding, I wouldn't worry about it as it isn't hurting anything.... but if it really bothers you put some heavy grease where the slave cylinder contacts the arm... this is also something that should have been done when the clutch was replaced.
i never said i replaced the clutch
thanks for the other info though, glad to hear it can't be my throw-out bearing

Originally Posted by RonJ
I have exactly the same annoying creaking noise when I press the clutch on my 97 DX. The noise seems to be coming from around the slave cylinder. I am thinking that the solution is more simple than a bad throw out bearing. When I get the chance, I will try applying grease at the end of the slave cylinder that contacts the release fork:

alright, i'll have my dad push the clutch pedal while i look under the hood and i'll try to locate where the noise is coming from. if i find the noise is coming from the slave cylinder, i'll try greasing it as you mentioned. great pic you provided, thanks

Old 08-22-2008, 09:41 PM

can i get like a big tube of grease from the auto parts store, like do they sell it there? i need to grease my suspension's bushings too.

what kind of grease should i use, and can i use the same grease for the slave cylinder and the suspension bushings?

Old 08-22-2008, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

my 99 has always made that noise, it sucks but i heard its common with civics

Old 08-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Super High Temp Urea Grease - where slave cylinder contacts release fork

Brake Grease - under slave cylinder boot

You should be able to pick up the grease at an auto parts store or even possibly Walmart.

Last edited by RonJ; 08-22-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ
Super High Temp Urea Grease - where slave cylinder contacts release fork

Brake Grease - under slave cylinder boot

You should be able to pick up the grease at an auto parts store or even possibly Walmart.
alright, can i use any of those greases on suspension bushings too, or is that a different grease altogether?

how much grease of each kind do you think i'd need (excluding the suspension)

Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I think you need silicone grease for those suspension bushings.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 PM

alright, thanks for all the help

i'm really relieved that i don't need to replace anything. lol.
until now, every time i heard that noise i was like "great, there goes another $100 or so"

Quick Reply: Squeakin' and Creakin' Clutch