Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing coming from belts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Default Squealing coming from belts?

There's been a squeal coming from my belts (at least i think its from my belts) thats a "squeal..squeal..squeal" cycle sound, not a long "squeeeeeeeeeaaaal." Right when I start my car it starts to squeal, but I found that when I step on the gas it tends to go away (or maybe I can't hear it over the engine). But it's constantly there whenever I idle or just coast. Not too sure which belt it is or if it's the alternator.

The car is a 2000 Civic with 188k. The timing belt was changed at 103k so I don't know if it's time again. (I hope not)

Whats the problem and whats the fix?

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Default RE: Squealing coming from belts?

the belt that is squealing is either too loose or too tight. if this randomly started, its probably too loose which would be caused randomly by a stretched belt. replace the belt and adjust the belt tension to specs and the problem will be gone. might as well replace all drive belts while in there.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 PM

I think it has been there for a few weeks but a lot quieter. I only started noticing when it got real loud. I'll try tightening them tomorrow..I hope its not too bad to drive on a loose belt.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Well I put some WD40 on the 2 pulleys and 2 belts closest to the outside and the squealing stopped. I think one of them was the "serpentine belt." I don't know how long that will last. Hopefully it was only the pulleys..

Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't lubricate belts! The lubricant will cause the belts to slip. You need friction to turn the pulleys on the alternator, power steering pump, and A/C. Buy new belts and clean off all the lubricant before installing.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 AM

Hey guys! I figured I would post in here since the problem sounded similar (not trying to hijack your thread, Charmin!).

My 2001 Civic EX has been making a similar sound.. it essentially sounds like a VHS tape being rewound just before it finishes. A fast pulley sound basically. Because of this I figured it might be my belts/pulleys. It's not always there, sometimes if I hit a small pothole it'll come on and and then by chance I hit another and it'll go off.

However the only sure way I've found to make it go away is once I start to brake, I find that it starts to diminish and eventually completely goes away once I've either come to a complete stop, or slowed down below say 25mph. Go above it and there's the chance it'll come right back. The braking issue is what made me think perhaps it's something to do with the brakes? (Also, a few months ago while at Firestone the recommended service included getting the brake pads replaced, but I didn't have the money).

Thanks for any help!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Your brake pads have a metal wear indicator that squeals when the pads need to be replaced. It's a pretty easy job -- give it a try if you want to save some money (see service manuals at the link in my signature)!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the quick reply RonJ! Just out of curiosity, it was my understanding that the wear indicators only came on while the brakes were being applied? That's what got me thinking perhaps it could actually be the belts afterall, as the sound goes away once I apply the brakes, but only starts when I'm steadily driving. I apologize if I'm being redundant, I just wanted to make sure on that point. Thanks again!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

At first you will generally only hear the indicator when applying the brakes. As the pads wear further, the sound can be more constant. Based on your information, replacing the front brake pads should solve the problem.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Squealing coming from belts?