Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Default Starting issues

I have a 08 civic with only about 800 miles on it and a few times when i start up the engine starts right up and dies. Start it again, starts right up and is fine. It does this on the first start or when the car has sat a while. Now when i start up i hold the key in the second position for a second or two then start and that seems to work. Any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Default RE: Starting issues

I bought a new 2008 Civic EX and I'm having the same problem as you. Randomly it's had trouble starting on the 1st crank. After the 2nd try, it starts. Lately it's been starting fine, atleast the last 20 starts no problems. Anyone else having problems starting their new civics?

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is it related to how much gas is in the tank? The old ones are a little harder to start when less than 1/4 full.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 AM

no, it's been random for me at all tank levels. (full, under 1/2, under 1/4), but lately it's started every time. I'm sitting at about 460+ miles on my 2nd tank (though I did my 1st fill up with about 1/4 of tank left) and I'm close to about 1/3 full. Maybe I'll start seeing some hard starts again. Hopefully not.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: silver08

I have a 08 civic with only about 800 miles on it and a few times when i start up the engine starts right up and dies. Start it again, starts right up and is fine. It does this on the first start or when the car has sat a while. Now when i start up i hold the key in the second position for a second or two then start and that seems to work. Any thoughts?
im having kind of the same problem.....it wont start on the 1st try but it will start on the 2nd try....and i have no idea what the problem is and its really pissin me off....anybody have any ideas?

Old 03-24-2008, 11:44 AM

ORIGINAL: mk378

Is it related to how much gas is in the tank? The old ones are a little harder to start when less than 1/4 full.
are you sure that ALL the older cars are like?
ive owned a 94 hatch and now a regular coupe ex and no probs starting either ever

Old 03-24-2008, 04:52 PM

i have a 95 civic coupe and have noticed that it takes alittle longer to start when it has less than a 1/4 of a tank.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM

luckily no hard starts today and I'm approaching the 1/4 full tank now so I will let you guys know if I get any problems starting my civic. At first I thought it might be bad gas/water (I have no idea where the dealer fills up at). I didn't exactly wait to refill my tank till it was empty (filled it back to full at about 1/3), but I'm definitely going to wait until the tank is close to empty the next time I refill. If the problem continues I'm going to bring it in for sure. I didn't get a new car just so I could have these problesm

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM

Hey, i have a j reg 1991 1.4 dual carb honda civic. i got this for my 18th birthday and was over the moon about it, one day i removed my CD player and cleaned my engine bay with WD40 (stupid?) when i went to start the car it would crank over but not start, i removed the spark plugs earthed them and checked for a spark and nothing, so i checked my distributor, the points were slightly dirty but i cleaned them and put it all back together again. still, nothing, can some one please help me and suggest what the problem could be, as im only a trainee mechanic and so im not as experianced as many other people. please help me i love my car and just want to hear her purr again. thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Dan, you should start a new thread for help with your problem to avoid confusion. (First thing I'd check is if there's battery voltage to the low voltage wires of the coil with the key on).

Quick Reply: Starting issues