Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Starting Problem '97 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Default Starting Problem '97 Honda Civic

So my oh so dependable '97 Honda Civic would not start yesterday morning.
Here's the history.
The check engine light has been coming on and staying on for months and months.
Honda replaced the O2Sensor, the fuel pump, the fuel injectors and adjusted the valves only to have the light come on again after each service.
So I've been driving for about 6 months with the light on. No issues except I smell the sulphur smell when I am pushing up hill or reversing into my driveway.
So in the early AM yesterday, we were deluged with rain. Although it sits in the carport, the passenger side of the car couldn't escape the pelting rain.
So yesterday, it just wouldn't start. My immediate thought was the wetness. The crank sounded strong but wouldn't turn over and start. I checked some of the major fuses, tryed to jump start, all to no avail.
Today the sound is dismal. Maybe the battery is getting drained. Someone mentioned vapor lock. I am low on gas....maybe a few gallons in the tank.
Also thinking I should check the distributor cap for moisture.
I have few tools and no mechanical expertise, but I do like to know what's going on when I ask a mechanic to help.
Can anyone enlighten me to what might be happening here? Thanks!