Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
HCF Member
Default steering noise

2000 civic LX 1.6L 5sp......I got this deep creaking noise when i turn the steering wheel...sounds like a old rusty door hinge off of a bank safe. I mean its pretty noticeable. I took a look at the suspension today will take a closer look tomorrow but....i did see both of my steering gear boots on the outter ends have separated from where they were clamped down...and grease is leaking out.

Right Side
Name:  Picture200.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  62.9 KB

Left Side
Name:  Picture199.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  47.9 KB
I am just surprised that both of them are like that. Do any of you think its too far gone just for a boot change? I assume a heavy grease goes inside of it like a CV joint?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

Most of the time the creaking noise would cause by the outer tie rod, spay some grease in the outer tie rod boot if you can then test it.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:15 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by droopy128
Most of the time the creaking noise would cause by the outer tie rod, spay some grease in the outer tie rod boot if you can then test it.
Will do....i drove it this morning and it didnt make any noise...not sure if its because its a little cold out and needs to be worked from driving to get it to make noise. Will go out and try the grease thing in a few. Would be nice to only have to replace the boots on each side if thats it.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

My inner boot been busted for the last 6 years (both sides), still driving it, no noise.. lol

Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 AM
HCF Member

after further investigating last night....here is what i found. I had my friend sit in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel back and forth and it sounded like it was on the lower end of steering knuckle (driver side)...the only thing there is the outer tie rod and the lower ball joint....since i am changing the boots and will have tie rods off...they can be replaced at that time. Then there is only the lower ball joint left....which my luck that will be the prob. I have a whole A arm ball joint upper/lower kit i have had under the bed for about 3 years so i guess it may be time to install some of these items.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Listen more closely, using a hose to your ear to pinpoint the noise. Or take tie rod off, move knuckle by hand to see if its the lower joint. You may need to put the tire back on and set the car back on the ground to stress the joint.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

I highly recommend replacing those torn inner accordian boots that cover the inner tie rod. If you let it go too long the joints on the inner tie rod will go bad, and those are a pain to replace. The boots are only like $15 each.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Listen more closely, using a hose to your ear to pinpoint the noise. Or take tie rod off, move knuckle by hand to see if its the lower joint. You may need to put the tire back on and set the car back on the ground to stress the joint.
Yeah the wheel will have to be on I had the car jacked up with the wheel off but it didnt make any noise because of the lack of weight on it. I will get working on it tomorrow. And as for the steering gear boots they will be replaced also.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Did you sorted it out wat it was ???
I know its been years but still if yu see this post then lemme know plz . My 2008 is doin this same thing evrytime ..

Old 12-26-2013, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i figured it out...i had some things worn out.....a tie rod end for one....steering rack was suspect also so i wound up changing that and that is what i am sure it was it doesn't make that noise anymore since i changed the steering rack. That was a pain in the *** but not as bad as i thought it would be.