Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Default Steering problem

Hi guys and gals. I have a 1997 civic coupe. Eng D16Y7 Chass EJ6.
I am experiencing a problem with the steering system. The steering feels really light at low speeds but tightens up when doing over 60KM/H. Also when I come off the accelerator, it goes light again. The steering wheel turns left to right in my hand as though the wheels are not attached to the car(While the car is slowing down) Also when stationary, with the engine on, the steering feels as though something is loose. The wheels dont respond immediately and the turning of the steering wheel does not feel smooth. Tie rod ends and rack en have already been changed, also the ball joints. I am not that technical but I hope you guys can help. The mechanic drove the car and said he found nothing wrong.
Also sometimes when acceleration away from a corner, the wheels feel as though they are "jack-knifed" and the lock doesnt want to come out.
Thanks in advance.