Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

stop my 91 dpfi civic from stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Default stop my 91 dpfi civic from stalling

I'm getting tired of wasting time and money replacing good parts on my civic.

problem: stalling

First, it was completely random. no rhyme or reason, the engine would stall while driving. most of the time I can push the clutch in, wait till the engine slows then battery light flashes, then let the clutch out compression start it, and I'm on my way without missing a beat. When that dosen't work, I have to stop, and re-start it with the key. and drives just fine.

Now it is more common, and stalls whenever I up-shift quickly in high rpm's, but never even under the hardest downshift. I drive like an old person now, shift slow, ease that clutch out, and it will still happen but is rare. A month ago I went on a road trip (over 3,000mi) and it diddn't happen once. But i can take it out on a 30min drive and it'll happen 3-4 times.

if I am at freeway speeds for over 15min, it will throw the oxygen code, I can turn the check engine light off by lightly accelerating, then side stepping (or even just blipping) the gas pedal, works every time.

I don't have a key for my car (long story) so I am currently running it ignition switch/screwdriver style. Sometimes the switch gets very hot, almost too hot to touch. But engine will stall even when the switch is cold.

rad fan dosen't run, thermo switch may be bad.

parts recently replaced:
main relay
O2 sensor
ignitor/rotor/cap/wires/plugs
fuel pump
fuel filter
air filter

grounds well cleaned, all connections to ignition components, fuel pump checked.

I will try an ecu as soon as one comes along

some random emissions component clogged? any ideas? I'm stumped

Old 09-12-2006, 07:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: stop my 91 dpfi civic from stalling

see you found us - hear about a lot that replace parts (may not be bad).
you replaced the ignition control module - but what concerns me is that there may to other electronic parts in there that go intermittantly bad , but now you already have quite a bit of money in that control module.

how many miles ?

sure that is the oxygen code that it is throwing ??

Old 09-24-2006, 02:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: stop my 91 dpfi civic from stalling

change the ignition switch, the thing you start ur car w/ a screwdriver. had the same problem